Spoiler I Became the Tyrant of a Defense Game / 디펜스 게임의 폭군이 되었다

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by twistingfeelings, Nov 20, 2022.

1. Ixcez

Ixcez Intergalactic Xanthic Custom Error Zone

Reading List:
    Link
    At the start of the story Ash is 23, while Lucas is 22 and Evangeline is 16, the story plays out over 3 years so by the end their ages are Ash 26, Lucas 25 and Evangeline 19.

But yeah I agree there isn't much in the romance department here and instead it's just mentioned all of a sudden. If anything Evangeline is shown and I believe even mentions that she likes Ash at one point but then again Ash is so bent on rejecting everyone trying to approach him so it does make sense if her interest turned elsewhere.

Krattana likes this.
  2. Krattana

Krattana New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Still by the end you gotta admit that's a pretty big age gap, which I have no problem with age gap's, but like 6 years? And again it's so random that they both have feelings together that if feels so forced. Again at the end of the novel yeah she is of age, but like she would have to be 18 to be an adult leaving like a year or at least half a year for romance to blossom and it isn't done well. Serenade and ash's interactions honestly make you feel like "oh yeah those two are getting together" and they have a lot of interactions from the first 400 chapters I have read. Again I am only at chapter 400 and just skipped ahead, but there really is nothing so far to show they have any romantic feeling for each other, that it just feels so forced. I honestly hope that if the manwha adaptation changes anything it's their relationship, like it would honestly make more sense for her to be with damien or at least somebody who's not 6 years older than her.

Last edited: May 17, 2024
  3. Krattana

Krattana New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I'm at the last chapter, and Godhand doesn't come back, they don't confirm whether he's dead though. However, Lily does have her and Godhand's kid which she names Sid, and there are some side stories that the author is currently releasing so you can keep your fingers crossed that maybe he comes back in the side stories.

Another one of my thoughts here, I do like Evangeline and Lucas as characters, they are well written, and Evangeline has come a long way from her 16 year old self (which separated her a bit from the other characters given she was the youngest). Again hope they change her relationship with Lucas in the manwha. But I don't hate Lucas, he's pretty cool, has his own story, I like that he was essentially the cause of Ash's mother's death, and seeing him resolve it with ash was a great short arc of his.

I always knew Ash and Serenade was gonna get together, not gonna lie I did used to ship him with Evangeline, but then I found out he was 23 and she was 16 and I was like "yeah Ash+Serenade are gonna get together." Serenade is honestly a pretty good fmc, although I also think so far shes one of the more weaker written characters (kinda just the usual sweet supportive fmc), but I'm at chapter 400 so maybe there's more development as I go along.

Aider and nameless was a sad love since even at the end nameless still doesn't remember who he is but does cry for him as she feels like she knows him. It was sad to see aider died at the end too, kinda felt like he was gonna die honestly.

Another one of my thoughts here, I do like Evangeline and Lucas as characters, they are well written, and Evangeline has come a long way from her 16 year old self (which separated her a bit from the other characters given she was the youngest). Again hope they change her relationship with Lucas in the manwha. But I don't hate Lucas, he's pretty cool, has his own story, I like that he was essentially the cause of Ash's mother's death, and seeing him resolve it with ash was a great short arc.

I always knew Ash and Serenade was gonna get together, not gonna lie I did used to ship him with Evangeline, but then I found out he was 23 and she was 16 and I was like "yeah Ash+Serenade are gonna get together." Serenade is honestly a pretty good fmc, although I also think so far shes one of the more weaker written characters (kinda just the usual sweet supportive fmc), but I'm at chapter 400 so maybe there's more development as I go along.

Aider and nameless was a sad love since even at the end nameless still doesn't remember who he is but does cry for him as she feels like she knows him. It was sad to see aider died at the end too, kinda felt like he was gonna die honestly.

So at the end of the story, it's mentioned that magic is either gone or that it's supposedley weaker, it may be because of a translation error but can someone explain that to me please? Can they not use their skills anymore? Can nobody use magic anymore? Do their weapons no longer have the unique abilities anymore either? Please let me know as it explained it kinda weirdly.

IntrovertedElf likes this.
  4. GreekSalad

GreekSalad Member

Reading List:
    Link
    After 729 chapters, I didn't find anything romantic between Lucas and Evangeline. When I skimmed through the end, I was surprised they ended up together especially when there wasn't anything developed between the two in the romantic area

Reasons being:
    People didn't want Ash and Evangeline to be a thing since Ash is much older and Lucas is on a similar age as Ash
    Evangeline would always talk about having a harem of men
    Random waiter confessing his feelings to Evangeline even though it doesn't mean they'll be a thing but something to point out
    Hecate also liked Lucas during their academic days and her relationship with Lucas wasn't further developed and was kinda forgotten
    I find Lucas and Evangeline's relationship to be more of a banter relationship especially on seeing who can get more monster kills, equipment difference, see who can protect Ash better, etc

Honestly, it's what it is

I genuine didn't expect they would end up together since I expected them to focus more on protecting Ash

Last edited: May 17, 2024
  5. Krattana

Krattana New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So at the end of the story, it's mentioned that magic is either gone or that it's supposedley weaker, it may be because of a translation error but can someone explain that to me please
    Yeah exactly it feels so force, there's nothing really showing they have feelings for each other, it's like the author was just like "okay everyone needs to have relationship you two who have no feelings for each start dating." It's especially akward because I recently was re-reading the manwha adaptation and stumbled upon a scene (this is around the time Evangeline is 16 and Lucas is 22) where lucas is carrying evangeline on his shoulders like a little girl or like a sister. I see that and then I remember that they get together somehow and I just.....cringe.

I really hope that the manwha adaptation writes out that relationship, it's not well written at all.

6. IntrovertedElf

IntrovertedElf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm really hoping by some sort of miracle he comes back. Lily deserves a better ending! I hope the side stories gets updated in daotranslate as well

7. Krattana

Krattana New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly Hecate getting with Lucas sounds a lot better by comparision, maybe the manwha will go down that route.

In the novel she is also 16 when she first joins, same as the manwha. However, she ends up with Lucas which honestly isn't any better as Lucas is like only a year younger than Ash. And I was re-reading the manwha and saw a moment where Lucas is carrying Evangeline his shoulders like you would a little sister. I see that and remember that they get together somehow and I just....cringe.

Dude that's a little weird for a girl who is around 17 to like a man who is like 23 at this point.

8. Aristes

Aristes [Archiver of idea], [Harbinger of the Fall]

Reading List:
    Link
    Can anyone tell me about the vampire war arc?

9. srahman19

srahman19 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The korean manhwa is on chapter 101.What chapter would that be in the novel?

10. Krattana

Krattana New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    essentialy it ends with the celendion and his allies all dead, but jupiter and the mercenary group die, and some of the old hunters are injured. They also gain his core which they learn from a blacksmith can be used to make very powerful weapons.

No he isn't from Korea, it's explained that he just gained the memories of someone FROM Korea from another world. At the end of the story he just stays in his world, let me know if you want to know what he did with his wish. :)

Big spoiler below.
    However, it's revealed that the MC, Ash, was never Retrotaku from the start, and Retrotaku was never isekai'd into Ash's world. Ash only received Retrotaku's memories to overwrite his own due to his shattered soul. The reason Ash's soul was shattered is that he's a regressor. Every time he dies, he goes back to the exact time his mother dies. Due to the countless regressions and failures, his soul gradually shatters, rendering him incapable of moving, thinking, seeing, etc. As a last resort, he and Ader created the game "Protect the Empire" and searched for people across the world to use their memories to overwrite his own. Hence, could explain why Ader told Ash "I truly hope you can keep fighting as you did now, even when you learn the truth of this crazy world one day. Because then you really won't be able to escape... from the world itself" right after stage 2(chapter 34 in the manhwa).

TLDR: The MC we know is only a persona of Retrotaku.
    [/SPOILER][/QUOTE]

I must say that twist was pretty unique, I was expecting another possession/isekai story but this one is different in it of the fact that ash IS ash and just has the knowledge of the gamer guy. :)

To try and see the world from the needle's eye
    To laugh at what has been
    And to love what is

What's with this quote? Is it from the novel?

11. sewtu

sewtu New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What about the other heroes from Ash's party? Which ones survived? What about Damien and Jupiter Junior for example?

12. GreekSalad

GreekSalad Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Buddy, there's a LOT of supporting characters than you think and the author isn't afraid to kill them off or sideline them. There was one death in the novel that shocked me especially that he/she died way early than I thought

Your second question
    They survive. All 4 of them

Last edited: Jun 11, 2024 at 3:11 AM
  13. Krattana

Krattana New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah the main 5 stay alive, this includes Ash, Lucas, evangeline, damien, and Jupiter junior.

14. sewtu

sewtu New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What was the death that shocked you?
    I'm reading the novel and currently around the before stage 15 arc and got curious and peek a bit ahead for spoilers and you weren't kidding
    Godhand missing and Margaritha dead.
    Good to know.

15. GreekSalad

GreekSalad Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, it was Margaritha's death that shocked me. I thought she would make it all the way past stage 25 or even to 50 because in the first chapter, one of the viewer's in Retroku's stream said that the R priest played a vital role in the final fight. Who would've thought she would die so early.

The author isn't afraid to subvert your expectations, even killing major supporting characters that were there for a long time that developed a lot in their character, personality, and relationship with Ash(yep there was one big example of this in the story...)

An advice to you when you continue the story. Hold the thought that no one is safe. Anyone can die any moment and you wouldn't be able to see it coming, which is why Ash keeps saying that the World Defense Front is the most dangerous place in the world. Be careful who you get attached to.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2024 at 4:39 PM
  16. Krattana

Krattana New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are times when killing a lot of side characters can make a story worse, but here the author does the deaths really well.

Evilmambapower likes this.
  17. GreekSalad

GreekSalad Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Finished the novel. Man what a journey and story I feel empty now

Ash is one of the better and unique MCs out there in these kinds of stories(regression, power fantasy, video game system, etc). I won't be surprised if he's your favorite character in the story since he went through many characters arcs and moments. He's also two characters in one since there's OG Ash and Retrotaku Ash which both are amazing that you can consider gigachads.

You won't need to worry about Retrotaku Ash ending up with Serende if you find it weird cause of the whole personality change and Serende was originally OG Ash's finance because
    Right after the end of stage 40, Retrotaku Ash told OG Ash that they can face the world together so they merged into one. Pretty much Ash would have both Retrotaku and OG Ash's memories and personality.

So we got more information of the spirit world at stage 50. The spirit world is not only a place between life and death but also a bridge where foreign medias(they're like constellations) from other worlds can interact with the MCs world. It's also revealed that it's where magic towards a specific race comes from. The foreign medias chose races(outside humans) of their interest and create trees in the spirit world that supplies magic to that race

The OG players were Ader and the Demon King who went through the Game of Destruction countless times to save their respective individual.

For Ader, it was Ariel. Ader is underrated that he was able to make a huge impact on the story despite his screen time being small. His character ending was a tragic sad moment but at least was able to reunite with Ariel in his last moment and reminisce about the day of having a picnic with her.

For the Demon King, it was
    The Goddess(Ash's Ancestor). It's revealed that the Demon King gave The Goddess's ancestor the curse of time and wanted to see each individual despair and corrupted with the curse. The only way an individual can escape the curse is to pass the curse to their child and die. For the goddess, she received the cursed from her father who committed suicide. She has the same cursed as Ash which is when the individual dies, they will regress to the exact moment their parent dies. The Demon King expects the goddess to break and choose to pass the cursed to her child to escape the curse. However for the Demon King, he was unable to corrupt the goddess as she went through countless regressions for the same goal which was to provide the human race with magic(I'll explain her backstory in details maybe later). As the goddess's soul reached her limit, her son and his children realized what she was doing over the countless regressions since they experienced the feeling of deja vu. The son takes the cursed of time from the goddess in contrast to the demon kings expectations. Because of this act, the Demon King was unable to corrupt the goddess and felt the feeling of loss for the first time.

Even though he wanted to corrupt the goddess, he also wanted to save her. Because throughout the countless regressions, the Demon King acknowledges the goddess and her tenacity for accomplishing a significant merit which was to provide the human race with magic.

I'll probably explain the whole backstory between the two in details later... This also has to do with the 'sin' that Ariel's ancestor committed, which was mentioned from the demon king since the goddess was executed from the people of the village which later became the Lake Kingdom

I enjoyed reading all the stages but my favorite ones were:
    Raven/Plague Doctor Arc(Ash, Salome, and Mason were an interesting trio)

Stage 50 was cool and all but it didn't feel as brutal and hopeless like stage 35 and 40 especially that is was hyped and foreshadowed a lot beforehand especially on how destructive the final boss was going to be. It was also a bit predictable and cliche, but it still ended on a satisfying note. It was probably hard for the author to handle two things(battles) at the same time.

Now I wait for the side stories

Oh, and one comment I will have to say about Lucas and Evangeline. The author decided to develop the romantic area of the two really really really late in the story and on short notice. I also thought it felt rushed and it was literally developed right after Lucas's date with Hecate(lol poor Hecate but at least she let go of the past and moved on).

Last edited: Jun 15, 2024 at 9:05 PM