NU/NUF Frequently Asked Questions

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Tony, Apr 3, 2018.

1. BarrenLord

BarrenLord Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does NU has a discord server? or maybe reddit? anything like that?

2. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    no

3. Codicia_2

Codicia_2 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Omg, thankssss!!

TXHY likes this.
  4. bobbyb123

bobbyb123 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it possible to change the behavior of sorting by chapters to sort by the actual number of chapters a novel has rather than how many chapter links are posted (as is the current behavior)?

Or add a new button called Total Chapters or something like that? It's pretty annoying when you're trying to find larger books that are posted on Web novel and therefore have low or no chapters based on NU sorting despite there being e.g. 1000+ chapters.

5. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Those chapters aren't on NU, so there's no way the site can sort according to them. Novel Updates would have to start acknowledging the existence of paid translations more, I think - actually tracking their progress and keeping a count of their releases... and that's probably not going to happen. The site exists to track free content online.

I suppose it's possible to plausibly sort by total number of raw chapters a novel has. But that entry is a user contributed text field and not universally formatted. That's a suggestion you could make in Suggestions & Bug Reports, though. I'd recommend coming up with as convincing an elevator pitch as you can for that.

You can simply search for novels under the Web Novel group to see everything of theirs that's listed. Granted even that isn't comprehensive. https://www.novelupdates.com/group/webnovel/

https://www.novelupdates.com/series-finder/?sf=1&grp=10436&grpi=1&sort=sdate&order=desc
    Maybe tweak this for things like reviews, ratings, reader count.

I'm not actually sure why you'd want to sort these that way. So many of their releases are mass produced, unedited MTL at this point - particularly those novels with the largest numbers of releases. You'd be better off doing the MTL'ing yourself, honestly. But to each their own. If you find some that are particularly readable and you don't care too much, you do you.

6. bobbyb123

bobbyb123 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I'm referring to the raw chapters, as we clearly also store this info for each novel entry on this site. I'm totally fine with that being a user set field since I've never seen it being inaccurate whenever I've cross referenced it (and even if it was, it wouldn't be too far off).
    Does it? By that logic, it should also track other leech sites that take paid translation chapters and post them to their own sites that users can read on freely, since that is also free. I was under the impression that NU was something like goodreads, but for Asian novels, and marketed towards English readers. I personally couldn't care less about tracking each individual translated chapter, and considering that most novels are paid translations anyway, having the translated chapters field only being set when NU has links for them on a official free site is a pretty sh*t choice, considering it doesn't really help the user in any way for newer chapters. How am I supposed to know when there are new updates on a paid translation site? It's a bit of a failure for a site named Novel Updates.

Almost every single popular novel on the site suffers from this, and here's a quick example (have to post a spaced out link since I don't have enough posts to use an actual link or image it seems):
    https:// imgur . com/a/zl7HgUv
    I use NU by searching for novels that are both completed and of a certain size. As long as I know the translation is completed and the actual number of chapters, I can look it up manually and find the site it was translated on through google afterwards. The only way to otherwise know how many chapters a novel has when it says completed is to manually click on each novel and scroll halfway down the page to find it. Seeing the chapter count as 40 is both wrong and useless and does nothing to help users on this site.

Also thanks for the link; I'll pitch this there as well.

7. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not that kind of "free" content, lmao. Novel Updates doesn't link to aggregators or other piracy alternatives. Just to translations that have been made freely available by their translator.

In its infancy, the site was created by a reader and fan, who wanted to keep track of the hobbyist fan translations he was reading. As the years've gone by, platforms like Webnovel have cropped up and translations have gone from being almost always free fan works to often commercial. There've been a number of pushes over the years to alter the listings to include paid translations. Because, yeah, you're not the only one around who would like to more easily keep track of those. But so far the site continues to track free content. The closest it gets is linking to those early preview chapters you've seen. ... Which at least points users in the direction of the translation, even if it's not all free.

AliceShiki likes this.
  8. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The site started out with a small scope and blew up. There was and only ever had been 1 developer. This makes any substantial changes to NU unlikely/impossible. In addition to what West said.

HNCKrstl and AliceShiki like this.
  9. bobbyb123

bobbyb123 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh damn, I didn't know that. That being said, the novel entry has the meta information for raw chapters as well as the linked translated chapters, so it should be fairly trivial to both update the UI to show raw chapters and sort by them as well. I'm not sure if there needs to be additional database indexing but the general algorithm is nearly identical to what we're doing with translated chapters, so it should still also be a simple change for that.

10. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Before you guys delve deeper into this discussion, I would like to make it clear and remind you guys of this one thing.

Novel Updates (NU) only caters to translations and it's a directory of English translations for certain Asian languages. Don't associate NU with websites that serves as a novel index or hosters.

HNCKrstl and AliceShiki like this.
  11. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How do i report some groups that use obviously unedited MTL but are being listed?

https://www.novelupdates.com/group/n-r/

Novels even have a <End of Chapter> by the end and other thigns that show they didn't even try

12. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    AliceShiki and EnuoFH like this.
  13. loquentes ineptias

loquentes ineptias Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How do I access conversations? It should be like a thread right? I have 2 conversations that I seem to participate in but I can't access it. Can anyone help tell me how to do so in detailed steps (if there's any)? Thank you.