AI Recommendations for NovelUpdates [Extension]

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by sh0338, Jun 16, 2023.

?

Is it helpful?

1. Yes

66.7%
  2. No

33.3%
  1. sh0338

sh0338 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello everyone,

I wanted to share a small project I've been working on called "AI Recommendations for NovelUpdates." Before I dive into the details, I want to emphasize that this project is primarily a learning experience, and there may be imperfections along the way. However, I believe it still holds potential and could be valuable to some of you.

[​IMG]

You can find the project on GitHub:

This endeavor started as an exploration of Chrome extensions and recommendation systems. The goal was to understand how these technologies work and gain practical experience in their implementation. As a result, I developed a browser extension that enhances the browsing experience on NovelUpdates.com by providing personalized novel recommendations.

It's important to note that this project is not without its limitations. The recommendation system is relatively simple, employing a content-based approach that takes into account various factors like the novel's description, genres, tags, rating, and rank. The similarity between novels is calculated using cosine similarity. I have hosted the recommendation system on pythonanywhere using their free tier, which means that the API response might occasionally be slower than desired.

To use the extension, you can follow these steps:

1. Download the latest version from the GitHub repository: https://github.com/shhossain/novelupdates-recommender
    2. Unzip the downloaded file.
    3. Open your browser and go to chrome://extensions/.
    4. Enable developer mode (you'll find this option in the top right corner).
    5. Click on "Load unpacked" (located in the top left corner).
    6. Select the folder you unzipped in step 2.
    7. Visit https://www.novelupdates.com/series/lord-of-the-mysteries/ to experience the added recommendations.
    I encourage you to explore the extension and provide feedback. Keep in mind that this project is a work in progress, and I'm aware that there may be room for improvement. If you have any suggestions or ideas to enhance the functionality or performance, please let me know. Your feedback will greatly contribute to my learning journey.

Thank you for taking the time to read about this small project. I hope it can offer some value and contribute to our collective knowledge.

2. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice. @Tony, is it possible to incorporate this officially as a feature request?