Recommendations BL/YAOI with good plot and characters

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by OtterCannon, Jun 17, 2021.

1. OtterCannon

OtterCannon Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Heya, I'm getting super sick of all the cliche garbage you find in the BL tags. Novels consisting of 90% "subvertive" cliches (how often do I need to read that until it becomes a cliche itself??) and weird rapey fanservice. I am looking for any and all of these:

- An actual plot that doesnt get forgotten after 20% of the book is done.
    - Good characters that aren't just "smart" because everyone keeps insisting they are while they actually do incredibly brain-dead stuff every 5 seconds.
    - In the same vein: consistent strengths and abilities. Dont let the plot convenience make them forget they can fly just so the white knight can catch them dramatically.
    - No A/B/O or mpreg.

The above are a MUST.
    The following are preferences.

- Fantasy or sci-fi. I mostly dont like the modern world stuff (the model/actor tropes etc)
    - QT isn't really my thing so only if it's actually really well done. I tried reading QWTFOTD but it was pretty bad imo.
    - My current absolute favourite right now is "Necromancer Survival" so anything with a level System, RPG-like would be awesome. Especially if it focuses on the level progression/item acquisition/battles. Even if it's just heavy bromance I'll take it, as long as there is no het romance.
    - A strong/smart/capable MC would be nice.
    - I usually don't love Seme-MCs but as long as the ML isn't a doormat it's okay.
    - The I'll rape you into loving me trope is horrendous, so if thats kept at a minimum it would be great.

Here are some novels I enjoyed:
    Heaven Official's Blessing ♥
    MDZS
    Necromancer Survival
    There's a Beauty
    Omniscient Readers Viewpoint (Technically not BL)
    Trash of the Counts Family (Technically not BL)
    The Trial Game of Life
    Transmigrated into the World of "Demon Lord Wu Zun"
    Transmigrating into a Mob Character to Rehabilitate the Villain Plan (was promising at the start but went downhill near the middle)

Thanks for any help! :)

Weiyuexuan likes this.
  2. Onigiri-o

Onigiri-o Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you tried Earth is Online? I just finished it, one of the best I've ever read :blobmelt:

eryafii, TaffyGirl13 and OtterCannon like this.
  3. Krinxin

Krinxin Book of Weird Animal Facts

Reading List:
    Link
    You can try: You Use a Gun, I Use a Bow

It has a uke protagonist and it's about gaming. I haven't read the whole thing yet but the MC is really good at what he does and the plot seems to be mainly focusing on gaming. I haven't seen any signs of rape so I think this'll be alright.

Onigiri-o and OtterCannon like this.
  4. TaffyGirl13

TaffyGirl13 just a casual translator~

Reading List:
    Link
    eryafii and Onigiri-o like this.
  5. babybb

babybb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    - Earth is Online +2
    - The E-Sports Circle’s Toxic Assembly Camp
    - Card Room +1
    - I Became a God in a Horror Game
    - Live Action Murder Mystery
    - Psychic
    -The Trial Game of Life
    -Sha Qing

RiboseSugar and eryafii like this.
  6. BanniNotBunny

BanniNotBunny Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. The Records of Missing Sect Master
    Smart MC, Awesome Side Characters, ML is just for decoration, plot-led
    2. Mr. Melancholy wants to live a peaceful life
    Boring at first few chapters but then plot driven, side characters are good
    3. Priest Novels : you can try any but below ones are really good
    Imperfections : sci-fi, futuristic setting
    Guardian

7. k.inn

k.inn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://chrysanthemumgarden.com/novel-tl/surprise/

Surprise! The Supposed Talent Show was Actually-?!
    -
    Completely translated interstellar (not ABO) BL novel
    - ML/MC had an incredible backstory and the plot was all woven together. The universe in this novel was very well done and nothing was predictable
    - All the side characters were realistic and had their own motives/personalities
    - MC was the cute soft shou but he wasn't the damsel in distress. Our boy might have not known what he was doing at first but he worked hard, his improvements were realistic, and he had his own strengths. He was smart (actually well-written and it explained his thought process/reasonings) but nothing in the novel was brain-dead.
    - While MC/ML were strong power-houses, they weren't invincible/OP. There were times where MC/ML would still lose and get outplayed by their opponents
    - If you love history, you'll love this! it's basically the safe version of interstellar Hunger Games where no one dies and the competitors are friends/normal people outside of the arena. Each arena is composed of a theme like the French Revolution, Tarot Cards, Cretaecous period, etc.

MofuMofu likes this.
  8. monolilith

monolilith Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Supernatural Movie Actor App is good

Preethu likes this.
  9. Weiyuexuan

Weiyuexuan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Heaven official blessing!! My fav. From ur list i agree with ur list since i like them too.
    I also recommended Earth is Online
    Then idk, i think my favorit sometimes those kind of a Lil bit dumb or pure MC hahahaaa like "guide to fail online dating", oh im into online dating genre now hehehe, also "painting of terror" my fav too
    Actually i have many reading list just i forgot most tittle, sometimes i remember the plot and ask here what the tittle
    Here the one i remember and re read recently
    Ghost know what im experience
    I woke up pregnant
    Thousand autumn
    Wife is first

10. Hweianime

Hweianime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Quick transmigration: Is it better to be a beta? Yeah it’s QT but at least it’s not ABO lol. It’s very unique in that the aim for MC is to improve shit stories because MC is an author. Main genre honestly in this is comedy. Romance takes a bit of a back seat to that ah. MC is a shou to the ML (who all have obvious flaws) but is said to be bi and actually shows that he’s bi instead of forgetting midway or doing that annoying thing where shous insist they straight men and be super oblivious.

11. eryafii

eryafii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    my fave BL of all is Little Mushroom

12. MofuMofu

MofuMofu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I AM BADLY RECCOMEND https://www.novelupdates.com/series/surprise-the-supposed-talent-show-was-actually/ this one!! This is just sooo good! MC Shou is cute, rabbit spirit, but his setting is smart! Not the amazingly smart but actually stupid, this one is really smart!! And the most important thing is the world setting is just so beautifull! Don't mention 20% remembering after reading, i feel 90% is not to much! Go take alook!!

13. crownprince

crownprince Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Earth is Online +5
    Global University Entrance Examination (despite its modern-sounding title, it leans towards fantasy/sci-fi