Discussion Do you have any very specific tropes/situations that you absolutely love?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Shadowdrop, Feb 7, 2024.

1. Shadowdrop

Shadowdrop Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mine is when two characters are Just Friends ™, and one of them starts falling in love, but because of their abysmally low EQ, they have no idea. Then, they hear someone else talk about love and realize that they relate to some of the things. So they go to the internet to ask; "how to tell you are in love?" and realize they hit every checkmark. And they aren't in denial but have absolutely no idea what to do with that information.

IDK why
    but I find it utterly adorable.

Another one is when a person and a non-human creature are partners and share a bond so strong, that they don't seem to have any language barrier. Kind of like Ash and Pikachu, but it can be any kind of creature - animal, monster, sentient weapon, plant, alien lifeform - as long as it doesn't speak human language.

These aren't the only ones, but can't remember the rest right now.

2. Bored_Student

Bored_Student Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just absolutely love the cold CEO/cold archduke trope. They always end up being the most doting and loyal lovers, but the object of their affection trying to win their heart is always such a fun experience.

3. RainMorga

RainMorga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Training montage with practical descriptions of increase in strength (ex. MC is now able to dodge 10% of the trainer's attacks). Upgrades in equipment and weapons...

ludagad likes this.
  4. seemanta

seemanta ţɦɛ ʏօʊռɢɛsţ ɮʀѧţ ɨռ ţɦɛ ɦօʊsɛ

Reading List:
    Link
    I like the trope where they regret and chase after someone. But the problem is that sometimes I only want them to chase and suffer and not get a happy ending. But it's quite rare.

5. Donotdisturb1234

Donotdisturb1234 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mine was when Ml's first love is the FL and that she was supposed to be dead but was actually alive trope and ML still can't move on from her I like this because mostly in novels the Ml's 1st love was always the villain that's why it's refreshing to see that the FL is Ml's first love and it's nice having flashbacks about their past and then them reconciling again and clearing up misunderstandings from the past

Sameeee gurllll

seemanta likes this.
  6. Novel Monster

Novel Monster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    HermitOnline likes this.
  7. Kipzi

Kipzi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Enemies to lovers. I'm a sucker for that trope. I don't like when the love is easy though.

Like stuff where the guy gets isekaid into another world where he's the villain that the protagonist killed so he tries to change his fate and he's nice to the protagonist one time and the protagonist falls in love with him.

Honestly what?

8. MMWO

MMWO *pout*

Reading List:
    Link
    I also like enemies to lovers. I really don't like love at first sight romance. I also don't like hate at first sight. It can be dislike at first sight but definitely not hate. And the reason for the hate must be for a legitimate reason and not just petty reasoning. Also slow burn romance I like.

Kipzi and HermitOnline like this.
  9. nivifer

nivifer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Enemies to lovers. Villainess. Isekai. Cold ML (let their frigid attitudes pierce my heart). Dukes of the North. Hateful families, oh their comeuppance is delicious. Revenge stories, let justice be done and the world perish, yes. yes and yes.

Novel Monster likes this.
  10. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    I love it when a very smart character lays a perfect plan that looks good even to me as the reader, but then some ignorant gorilla comes by and smashes it without even noticing.

11. Seefar

Seefar Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really like it when the MC does something unintentionally and something huge happens because of it and everyone thinks that "wow the MC is so smart and intelligent" but even the MC doesn't know how that happened? But they just go along with it and don't correct the misunderstanding..:blobtongue::blobsweat_2::blobjoy:

ludagad likes this.
  12. Anoniii

Anoniii Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Rival to lovers, MC n ML gradually falling in love, bickering couple, fated lovers (like high matching in ABO, guideverse, etc).

Novel Monster likes this.
  13. Shadowdrop

Shadowdrop Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Guuuuys.... I meant VERY SPECIFIC tropes. The kind that needs at least a full sentence to describe. It's in the thread title. I have nothing against enemies to lovers, but it's one of the most used tropes in existence and it has a variety of sub-tropes.

Well, I guess it's fine. Let's consider it a "what are your favorite tropes" thread, if that's what you want to talk about.

14. csgamer48

csgamer48 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me it is when the protagonist or a character has to see people that they consider as his/her family/precious people fight/hurt each others due to some background conflict. And to add some spice for this kind of drama soup, both sides have strong reasons to back their claims and the protagonist cannot find a right solution for this clash. I love the suffocating atmosphere when the protagonist has to helplessly find a way to resolve thing while being pressured by those characters.

Shadowdrop likes this.
  15. YueLiin

YueLiin Kore

Reading List:
    Link
    Mentally ill x mentally ill in those horror/action settings, cause everyone else looks to the partner for help but the partner is equally insane kewk. Enemies to lovers makes it so much more entertaining too

mir likes this.
  16. CreativeCriticalThinker

CreativeCriticalThinker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The powerful modest character successfully hiding their strength.

17. Miss_Ravrav

Miss_Ravrav Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, i really like soulmates tropes. Where the MC and ML fall in love no matter what universes and timelines they're in :aww:I always cry when I see them find each other back just to fall in love again and again. Something like 'This Witch of mine' i guess

18. HarukaNise

HarukaNise Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The 'and then they were roommates' trope is just a YES honestly, that and cute fluffy wholesome first loves

Though psychologicals are a guilty pleasure, ever just have that nice thrill when obsessive, black bellied make lead :sweating_profusely:

csgamer48 likes this.
  19. pompom9867

pompom9867 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When they have that one scene where the FL carries the love interest, like carry me too while you're at it smh..

20. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    Smart x dumb .. the dumb here maybe more like naive stuff? it usually bring comedic scene~ this cat adore such stuff~
    two chess master against each other~ especially on military or war theme story~ it may certain theme or arc on story which tbh quite hard to find because most of time it about one strategist crush another who know kind of one or two level below rather than two equally capable one beating each other on different time~
    Fight to death duel~ writing fight scene is hard~ enuf said~

all scheme and strategy is useless in front of absolute power of baka~ it quite staple on comedy~