Question Easy way to MTL VIP chapters in sfacg?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Yuehan, Apr 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yuehan

Yuehan Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello guys. I purchased some VIP chapters at www.sfacg.com and just found out that I can't MTL it directly. What I'm doing right now is that snipping tool>convert to text>translate. Are there any easier ways than what I'm using right now? Any help and advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Edit:
    I'm currently doing disable javascript>then save the image and translate, any way better than this?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  2. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    use chrome

Yuehan, Femme Fatale and Megiddo like this.
  3. 222222

222222 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212

Reading List:
    Link
    Firefox reading mode. Ctrl A, Ctrl V.

Yuehan likes this.
  4. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    MTL is never easy

Yuehan likes this.
  5. SaintxMeow

SaintxMeow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ShareX will let you take the initial image easier (i set my dimension tool to shift ctrl 4 to do so)

Yuehan likes this.
  6. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Straight to Ctrl V....? :hmm:

Yuehan likes this.
  7. Yuehan

Yuehan Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unfortunately, it doesn't work in vip chapters there.

How to enable reader mode? It seems it doesn't support sfacg and if I tried to use a reading mode addon in the vip chapters, It only shows the title of the chapters because the contents seems in gif format

Ikr, haha. But it's better than waiting for a week or months for those buried gems. haha

Thanks for this. So far, I disabled javascript and able to get the whole image and fortunately it is recognized. I'll try this one if it doesn't recognize the text, if the image I got is too small.

this. lol

8. whitenight2013

whitenight2013 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The best way I found is to use the mobile app for sfacg. Screenshot the pages and have the google translate mobile app translate the images. I then copy paste the translation into a note page so that I can read the whole chapter without pause. It's troublesome but bearable. If only google translate could work on in-browser images then everything would be fine.

9. Serra

Serra 『plumie's grandson~』

Reading List:
    Link
    The VIP chapters for SFACG have watermarks on them, it's designed specifically so you can't scan the pages.
    You can always propose the series to a group.

10. Seven0492

Seven0492 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    (Cross-posted and slightly modified from my comment on a blog post ; can't post links unfortunately, so had to remove them where they were)

Previous anonymous here, I have since realized it's an image in the app too, which I didn't think it would be. Fortunately, after 2 days of torture and trying workarounds, I've finally found a non-technical, decent compromise. It's not so dissimilar to the google translate workflow, but it's much more ergonomic.

Here are the prerequisites:
    - An account with the purchased chapters,
    - (loosely required) Browser,
    - (optional) Text editor,
    - Android emulator (Bluestacks, Waydroid, etc.)
    - and ShareX (an open-source software capture and OCR utility)

Note: Google translate on a phone works, but you lose much of the flexibility and editability you would get from being able to do it on a desktop, and one cannot exactly replicate it on an emulator. Google translate refuses images when it doesn't detect a lens, which would probably require workarounds and searching on forums. I do not consider that a non-technical solution, though achievable.

Setup necessary:
    1. Open ShareX and go to Hotkey Settings ;
    2. Using the 'Add' button, add Tools >> OCR ;
    3. In the new OCR hotkey, press the button on the right of the gear.
    4. Tap an unused key combination, like Ctrl+'Scroll Lock', which is left unused in virtually every modern operating system and application ;
    5. Go to Task settings >> Capture >> OCR to set a language. The question mark on the right will tell you how to add another language.

All set! That shortcut will come in handy later.

Once you've obtained all of the above, here are the steps:
    1. Download and install the sfacg app apk in the emulator ; (93 builtin trackers in the app, eesh! Thank goodness for the emulator)
    2. Navigate to the library/novel you want to read, and go to the VIP chapter(s) you want to read. (Bluestacks has an integrated live translation feature to navigate apps, press Ctrl+shift+L to trigger. It's not enough for reading, but it will do for browsing. Otherwise, ShareX works too) ;
    3. Take a picture with the the OCR shortcut assigned earlier, and then you're done! (sort of) There's still some light cleanup left.
    4. Clip the the noisy characters at the top and bottom, leaving only the content. The title is at the top, but due to the tiny font size, there's a very low chance it actually work on it. If you want the title, it's easier to go to the chapter on the website and translate from there, the title's not an image.
    5. Skim through the text to make sure there's no added characters, missing non-chinese characters (like indian numerals/normal numbers, or english letters), or, more often, missing ponctuation, especially when it's on the very left of the screen. Watch out for double quotes and points, and you should be fine.
    6. Separate the chapters by adding spaces in between.
    7. (important) Put chapters in the same line because they'll be separated on different lines due to the sfacg line wrapper. Double check your paragraphs are separated right, but don't fret over it too much as you'll notice any inconsistencies in the translation stage.
    8. Put them in your favorite translator engine! (google translate, ChatGPT (only recommended as a backup), DeepL (if you can afford it), etc.)

Sfacg unfortunately cuts paragraphs between pages, so, you'll have to combine two chapters (by repeating steps 3 to 7) together to get complete chapters and thus correct translations (translation engines can output strange things when they have incomplete phrases. )

There's also some extra things you can do, and where the benefits of this method really start to shine:
    - You can combine all the chapter pages in a text editor so you can read it all in one go, instead of in segments (and fragmented paragraphs).
    - You can save these chapters (and translations) to your computer, so you can go and access them at any time without having to do all the work again. It also ensures you can still access the novel if it gets taken down, the author acquired a new publisher or signed an exclusivity contract.
    - You have the option to use other translation services than google translate. It's good and does the job, but if you want to pay for the better service of DeepL, or the flexibility of AI/ChatGPT, there's nothing stopping you!

There might be more, but I lost my train of thought and it's getting long anyway, hope it was helpful!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
  11. JamesBunny

JamesBunny Well-Known member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cntrl U and figure out where text body starts and end

12. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm leaving this here because it may assist someone else down the line, but please check the date before posting in a thread. This thread is now going on six years old, and it looks like the OP hasn't posted on the forums for nearly five. After three months a thread is considered dead. In the future, please start a new one or find a more recent one to post in.

Seven0492 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.