Request English Sites Like Munpia

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Wujigege, Oct 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Any site to pay to read novels like Munpia. Lezhin is similar but it is for comics

2. Shratath

Shratath Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    fuckin qidian maybe ?? or u want only korean sites ?

3. 8Psycho

8Psycho Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    QI? in close future

4. OnigaImasuka

OnigaImasuka A devil in disguise

Reading List:
    Link
    I think some of those listed here has a "VIP-plan" of some kind. Not sure which though.

zeus and Wujigege like this.
  5. pukeofhurl

pukeofhurl The Philosopher

Reading List:
    Link
    As much as i like munpia novels why would you want a site with a pay per chapter model seems like a bad idea companies would love to latch onto making paywalls if people start using them i actually dont mind qi model right now where they use ad wall (would be better if they treated translators better but yeah) if they go a step further and reach munpia level pay per chapter i dont think alot of people on nuf atleast would read

Wujigege likes this.
  6. 12300

12300 [How many sheep can Snorlax count?]

Reading List:
    Link
    Such a long run on sentence without any periods or commas...

Wujigege likes this.
  7. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Ad wall it is then. Thanks
    But what about books, there are technically paywalls

8. sufod01

sufod01 Ghost

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually this isn't a bad model, with the pay per chapters, at least the web authors can earn a income and the company can run. I doubt that Qidian will keep the ad wall though, firstly this is unpopular, secondly they earn almost nothing. This is mostly done to make people come everyday on Qidian and reclaim the 'free' gems, to have a steady number of visitors per day. A long term project. They need a new model because they lost a lot of money currently.

Wujigege likes this.
  9. pukeofhurl

Reading List:
    Link
    im to lazy to use proper sentances in a non formal setting arent most people?

i would rather buy the entire novel even if more expensive all at once then give money per chapter for thousands of chapters

readerz likes this.
  10. sufod01

sufod01 Ghost

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm the same, but it still exists people who are willing to pay to read. Or else the patreons won't become so suddenly 'popular' with extra/advanced chapters.

readerz and Wujigege like this.
  11. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah good point
    Unlike a book, I see that web novel chapters bought in bulk are cheaper than the ebook when it gets released

ebook - https://ridibooks.com/v2/Detail?id=2057006365
    Web Novel/Serial - https://ridibooks.com/v2/Detail?id=2057003336

sufod01 likes this.
  12. pukeofhurl

Reading List:
    Link
    the biggest reason i dont like pay per chapter is say you set it up from chapter one but the novel you payed into for like 150 chapters then goes on perma hiatus no completion you spent probably 40-50$ for an incomplete product thats why i rather buy it all at completion even if more expensive than pay for half a series that will never finish

this is also why i personally dont sub to any patreon but sometimes give donations of equal or greater value than a patreon sub would cost

readerz likes this.
  13. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    But Munpia books get completed
    Has any not been completed?
    Thanks for the feedback, I am thinking of building a similar site

14. pukeofhurl

Reading List:
    Link
    honestly i have no idea if all munpia novels get completed i mean yeah ALOT of good novels come out of there but i cant read korean soo i cant look for incomplete XD but basically all similar sites i do know have dropped novels munpia may be an exception if they really dont have dropped novels if you build a similar site make your profit from ad revenue and a minority of chapter revenue authors will be more motivated for royalties per chapter its western readers that wont be thrilled lol asia likes using micro transactions thats why mobile game markets are so big its a smaller market in the west because westerners usually prefer getting everything for one price

soo conclusion maybe add a bundle of chapters rather than per chapter like say pay so and so price per 10 chapters you read not a smaller price for each chapter since if im not wrong on munpia each chapter is like 8-10 cents usd and americans particularly would be annoyed getting hundreds of 10 cent charges rather than like 10 1$ charge

Wujigege likes this.
  15. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I do know that a way to get around such micro transactions is to buy a set amount of credit for the site
    That is why some Korean sites give you 10% off if you buy 1,000 won credit pack or points as some sites call it.
    I think chapters costing money will motivate authors to continue as they can make money
    Also awards and badges to show that a author completes his or her works eg last novel got completed in less than a year or last novel is on hiatus

16. pukeofhurl

Reading List:
    Link
    yes it will motivate authors problem is authors could potentially drag out the series just for extra chapters through padding wordcount multi povs that arent needed/wanted and extra long descriptions like most of my run on sentances :D
    edit 1 extra chapter with 10,000 views at 10cents a person is 1000$ theres alot of incentive to do this

17. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah that is why I was thinking of things like awards
    and limiting chapter count of a book to 200 chapters
    A book could always have a volume two thought but readers looking to bulk purchase won't be intimidated by the number of chapters.
    Monthly Awards for authors
    Awards by actual Book critics would help
    A good example for me is the Indian FilmFare award
    They have the Filmfare Best Actor and Filmfare Best Actor Critics
    one of them is more sought after

18. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    That type of website is not popular for reading in the West. I know of membership sites but they are all learning/education/tutorial/mentoring membership sites. And yes, people would prefer to pay a monthly membership than per chapter.

IMO, people LOVE the netflix type of thing rather than per watch/read. cruncyroll has the same thing and I think a lot of people on NU are weebs so they are familiar with that.

(y) So I would suggest something like $30 per year membership, read all you can and no ads.

Here's an example of an independent membership website (not patreon and not one of the big sites) - https://login.erfworld.com/toolshed

They have levels and the lowest is just $0/50 per update (3x a week). :blobwink:

Uh, so for web novels, tiered pricing might work. If you want, you could start it off with bonus money first and see how people like to spend it - either a lump sum for monthly membership or a tiny microtransaction per chapter/chapter bundle.

Wujigege likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.