Resource Finding Web Novels to Translate? (Mainly BL)

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by buccisrequiem, Sep 30, 2020.

1. buccisrequiem

buccisrequiem Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope this is in the right place and this isn't a silly question but hey guys! Just wondering how you guys go about finding Japanese web novels to translate.

I'm aware of the BL version of syosetsu, but I'm wondering how do you go about choosing a web novel you think people would be interested in reading a translation of?

Do you rank by popularity and completion and go from there ? (I also notice a lot of those web novels on moonlight don't have art, but I see a lot of web novels translated here that do?)

Or maybe there's another site I don't know about? Please help me out I'm clueless haha.

2. riririn

riririn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I always just pick something that I would want to read myself. Some ways you could do it is look at authors you've enjoyed the work of and see if any of their other novels are interested, or sort by popularity like you said. You can also check the novel pick-up requests and see if there's something you would translate.

3. Hasr11

Hasr11 [Cat] [Fujoshi] [JP TL in Hiding]

Reading List:
    Link
    There's mainly three websites i use Moonlight Syosetu, Kakuyomu and Fujossy.
    Can say much about finding them, I just go based on other people's recs or pick up and TL one that I read and liked

4. napo

napo Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would choose based on personal preference rather than others' interest; after all, you need to be interested enough in the novel to finish translating it, or else it's just become tedious.

Not regarding translation, but when I look for novels to read, I do look at rankings, or reviews. If I like someone's work, then I'd also look at their past works and their bookmarks to find more novels. Or sometimes take a look at what novels have been announced to get a publication(novel/comic or even anime), and check out the source.

As for art, the art usually comes from novels that get commercially published, although sometimes it's art the author commissioned, or fanart the author shares.

5. buccisrequiem

buccisrequiem Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I guess I didn't make myself super clear on the first part...I wouldn't want to translate something anyways if I didn't enjoy it haha, but ok! i guess i'll look for some announcements about ones getting picked up commercially. i guess my fear is just going through the effort of translating something that, in the end, is too niche..or stopping midway thru bc the story has taken a turn for the worst ; ;

riririn likes this.
  6. buccisrequiem

buccisrequiem Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't know about those other two sites, thank you !

7. napo

napo Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try looking for completed works then? I'm sitting on a couple waiting for them to end for this very reason. Can't help if it's too niche tho, but there will always be readers for those. Just less.