Google vs USA

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by asriu, Oct 21, 2020.

1. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    US Department of Justice and 11 other states decided to slap ehem smack nonono sue Google accuse it monopoly over search engine. Add with blablabla yada yada yada
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54619148

hmm sound familiar? yes EU aka Europe Union did that
    which one will win?
    Uncle Sam or Google sensei?
    ladies and gentlemen, cat and dog, tank, helicopter and ship, etc
    place your bet~

Da time have cone to pick ice cream on come or glass
    Time to rap ehem smack Google!
    now where that pic of sexy google....

maybe yahoo search will have opportunity if Google lose or bing? baidu? dukduk gogo?

anyway what search engine you use beside google?
    CG2_SD06a.jpg

sufod01, mirfn, Drake98 and 3 others like this.
  2. KizunaAi

KizunaAi Cookie Lover ~ I love fuwa fuwa dolls ~

Reading List:
    Link
  3. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Google is not a monopoly, there's also yahoo, and others which is not that popular since google came in the picture

Mnotia and Dat_Karma like this.
  4. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    bing is obviously the better choice

[​IMG]

5. Drake98

Drake98 Concerned Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    i, now, use duckduckgo/firefox... now i trascend the use of private window to do stuff with firefox!!!

6. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh, I hate Google. Not so much the products, hence why I unfortunately have an Android phone, but the people who run it. Anything that can screw these big tech companies over in some way, I'm all for it.

Vampire Maiden and FIEND like this.
  7. kuroAnsatsu

kuroAnsatsu Realistically Stoic

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a bit stupid if they're suing them only because of monopoly. I mean like what they said, "People use Google because they choose to - not because they're forced to or because they can't find alternatives,".
    There's still bing, yahoo search, etc.
    Unless the context is a bit more complex than that, then it depends

8. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    I use Duckduckgo

Opera use Google search engine by default if that what you mean

9. Ceilo27

Ceilo27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a random thought but...
    It will be nice if there was a software that combines all existing search engine (Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc.)
    :blobhug:

EDIT:
    If there was please tell me about it
    :aww::aww:

Nusan likes this.
  10. Siebzehn

Siebzehn 95% Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    I find there not enough info on what they actually did.

"Google pays each year to ensure its search engine is installed as the default option..."
    This is what helps to support browsers like Firefox. Take it away and they will struggle.

"General search engine competitors are denied vital distribution, scale, and product recognition - ensuring they have no real chance to challenge Google."
    Are they activly denying access to them? Or are they just so unknown that they have no chance in a saturated market?

"Google is so dominant that 'Google' is not only a noun to identify the company and the Google search engine but also a verb that means to search the internet."
    Thats not something they caused on their own. The people decided that. (I don't think there were Ads leading to this or so)

"The suit said the deals have hurt the public by damaging search quality in terms of privacy and data protection, reducing choice and thwarting innovation."
    Which Deals? For my Part I am happy that google takes in consideration of where I live and my intrests to give fitting result. Of course there are Sponsored pushed Results, but they are as far as i know always marked.

"Moreover, before 2017, most MADAs also required manufacturers to set Google as the default general search engine for all key search access points on any device with preinstalled Google apps—these requirements are now found in the revenue sharing agreements discussed below."
    This is truly not right. But they havr changed to allow other appstores to exist (not like apple). However they have at the moment no chance to compete.

There will probably be smaller changes, just to make the Law happy. I doupt they will allow "non google Androids" phones.

11. Siebzehn

Siebzehn 95% Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    There is! It's even open-Source! https://searx.me/
    Choose a Node and adjust the settings to your likings!

12. Siebzehn

Siebzehn 95% Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    There is also MetaGer but I have no experience with it...

Ceilo27 likes this.
  13. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem is that Alphabet is using its massive power as a company to intentionally suppress the others (thats illegal). And it certainly has the market share to crush the rest. This is precisely what the anti-trust laws were designed to prevent. In the US they were almost exclusively made to deal with Rockefeller and Standard-Oil (a company so absurd that most o the large oil companies on the planet are one of its splinters). Most people giving a damn about the subject were wondering why Facebook, Alphabet and Amazon were left to do as they please for so long.

14. kuroAnsatsu

kuroAnsatsu Realistically Stoic

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you give me an example of some cases where they had done it intentionally? I'm a bit ignorant about it.
    Or did the US Department of Justice and others did all of this for preventive measure only?

15. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Happened already, and on a massive scale. I assume you are not dumb enough to think Google's algorithm is "neutral".

kuroAnsatsu and reagents 11 like this.
  16. H0NEYBEE

H0NEYBEE Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Me: uses yahoo(I'm lying), ummm, yeah, Google is totally monopolising

17. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Look up keywords buying on Google. If Qidian decided to buy "novelupdates" keyword and set it so that this website to be pushed back in the search engine, they can do that. In a way, this is unfair. But what can you do about it?

Nusan and reagents 11 like this.
  18. Starmiya

Starmiya [Modern Vampire][In Hiding]

Reading List:
    Link
    I use Microsoft edge.

19. ImperialNero

ImperialNero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Google is not a monopoly as there are still others rivals product by other company. A market is monopoly if a corporation or government dominated certain goods or services. Effect of monopoly is low supply but high demand which made the price of that goods soar high. Most google stuffs are free, thats why i find the idea of google being monopoly very ridiculous. Department of Justice should focus on west taiwanese products instead, west taiwanese imitated popular things in western world and brought them to west taiwan and blocked the original products in west taiwan. Youtube (Bilibili), weibo (social media), google (baidu), whatsapp (Wechat), instagram (xiaohongshu).

20. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    meh, Google is company based on USA so it is ok if USA government wanna slap it~ Google also multinational company that pop up it base on EU so it also ok EU wanna slap it~ PROC also have it own right to decide which company may conduct with and or within it territory actually each country can do that, similarly each country can create it own company for whatever then expand it, be it state owned company or private one~ question do the country wanna do it? do that country have resource and ability to do it?

as for monopoly definition since it legal case that really depend on country law where the court may taken for definition of what is monopoly~ each country or region (such as EU) law may have different definition about monopoly or what practice that can called as monopoly~ not the economy definition but the legal definition describe on law~
    so it still valid reason unless those 11 states and USA department of Justice just fooling around~
    btw do you know definition of monopoly according to USA law?
    this cat don't know~
    raccoon bread.jpg

Nusan likes this.