Recommendations High fantasy

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Jojo775, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure what I'm looking for but I'll tell you what I'm not looking for.
    Okay first high fantasy means there's lots of magic, but I don't want xianxia-ish crap with infinite OPness.
    It has to be serious, no foodie in another world or system crap, preferably no harem but let's be real…
    Not restricted to fantasy, preferably not JP coz they are so fking long winded if not whiners.
    It doesn't have to be from NU, however it must not be English original from Webnovel.com, not giving them another chance, there are no gems in that trash.
    It has to have good grammar and syntax, that means no crap like Throne of Magical Arcana(it also fails in trying to be western...or human, maybe the author is an alien).
    Oh and a lot of chapters with a good speed if still in translation, don't bother if the last update was like 15 days ago and that's normal(unless it's fanfiction).

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  2. Sofa_KingII

Sofa_KingII Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Jim Butcher has some good series, Furies of Calderon is a high fantasy novel series that is completed. He has a more modernized series called Dresden Files, which had a 1 season tv series that got cancelled but the books are still ongoing.

Jojo775 likes this.
  3. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    Jojo775 and Bright_Lucky_Star like this.
  4. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    2nd to Mother of Learning

5. Sir Edric

Sir Edric Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want High Fantasy, as Sofa eluded to, you can look to non wuxia/webnovel material. There are Hundreds of amazing High fantasy titles that have been published (codex of alera from jim butcher being a 6 book series is definitely one of them). a few of my personal favorites-

King Killers Chronicles
    Stormlight archive
    Wheel of time
    Malazan book of the fallen
    Mallorean and Belgariad
    Riftwar Chronicles

And for anyone who likes easy to read- well written fantasy there is a series called redwall from Brian Jacques, YA at its best.

mir, Jojo775 and Bright_Lucky_Star like this.
  6. checkmate28

checkmate28 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Robert Jordan - Wheel of time i second such a pity he has passed away
    Raymond E. Feist - Magician and his long list
    Ian Irvine has quite a few books as well
    these people have been making books for years

Jojo775 likes this.
  7. Suzaku128

Suzaku128 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha this is pretty ironic but what matches your requirements is a low fantasy Japanese novel. More grit and cruelty over rainbows and butterflies

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  9. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    Shadow Ops Series by Myke Cole

10. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    Practical Guide to Evil sounds fitting.

Jojo775 likes this.
  11. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I heard about Dresden Files, I'll check out this dude.
    I'm reading the first two and I'll have to restart reading Chronicles. That means Instant Kill must be good too so I'll check it out.
    By serious I just meant no pathetic web/light novel attempts at comedy, no tropes and anime humor. I don't really like dark stories, though I read some coz they're that good.
    I really don't like that bs where magic is disappearing and the spells are just cantrips.

Bright_Lucky_Star and Wujigege like this.
  12. Maraderchik

Maraderchik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    R.Salvatore "Dark Elf" trilogy and other books of this series.

13. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just wanted to share with you the only gem that actually exists on webnovel.com:
    Martial Arts Master (or nicknamed Love Arts Master by some readers).
    After a while the fights are boring so skip them, what is the best in this novel is the romance (that and the moments when he shock people of his OPness). Modern world romance where MC pursue a beauty by just talking/interacting as a friend with her. After they get together, lots of loveydovey moments between them. Sadly in recent chapters, FL needs to study in another country for a few years and translator stopped translating.
    0 drama at all beside 1 girl friend of MC/FL that sadly leaves the club because her grades are low, she failed romance (the guy didn't even take notice of her) and she is so weak that she can't even be a substitute for others.

I totally agree with you that the novels on webnovel.com all sucks and they sure don't know how to pick a good novel but this one, i assure you it's good.

14. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Got some fantasy ones, MCs are strong/maybe half-OP, not harem:
    Here is some original yuri stories (caution i spoil quite a bit) on RR:
    Binary Soul (completed): In a city where anything happens like the attack of a reviving necromancer or giant rats or even living piece of furnitures lives our powerful MC magician girl that often get into troubles like scratching too much behind the ears of the beatsmen or beating some drunkards that touched her ass or breasts. Luckily with some jail or some fine she is always released as she is a good girl. One day, a star (looks like) crash into the forest. She will find in there a lover that is in fact herself but in another world (selfcest).

Lily Ex-machina (completed): A girl machinist that is paragon (a classification of power user = max) with her power of control (of stuff she touches but considered quite useless), dreams to become popular with her work. One day she decides with her childhoodfriend and the group of mercenaries/adventurers she works with to go to the last lvl discovered in the labyrinth/dungeon that the city manages to find new metals to become popular with the discovery. But in there she will wakes up something terrific. And also discover a robot that will becomes her lover.

For BS, the biggest positive point of it is the fact that nothing bad happens (at least to the MC and lover) so go read it with a happy heart and expect some comedy.
    For LEM, there is quite a lot of drama + tragic ending.

After that, join us on Yuri Garden (NUF) to talk about it.

15. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    Mother of Learning
    The Wandering Inn