Question Lack of translators?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Nig, Oct 5, 2023.

1. Nig

Nig Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t know but is there a serious lack of translators? I mean even novel like Kingdom’s Bloodline isn’t getting translated, which makes me question the availability of translators on NU.

2. ValiDxD

ValiDxD 『White Dragon Emperor』『Wine Lover』

Reading List:
    Link
    KB is a novel licensed by Webnovel, no one would tl it because they would get dmca.

3. Nig

Nig Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That wouldn’t be a problem at all if u don’t live in China. Even if u do, I highly doubt WN can actually find u and deliver a suit to you if u make an attempt to remain anonymous as I don’t think the Chinese cops are going to employ the secret service hackers to track down the translator. I mean, it’s not like pirate sites or aggregators have ever been sued

4. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    Not enough incentives

5. Nig

Nig Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean what do translators expect? The most they can expect is some ad revenue. And I imagine most translators aren’t in it for money since it really doesn’t pay compared to other sources of income

6. nonononononono

Reading List:
    Link
    yes. Most do it for fun. But fun is only short term. If no incentive, fun will die out quickly. Translators doing it for fun don't expect anything. But readers expect them to keep translating even if it is no longer fun for them.

Westeller, Aqua_the_idiot and anasi like this.
  7. Nig

Nig Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That doesn’t explain why KB isn’t getting picked up

8. nonononononono

Reading List:
    Link
    again, not enough incentives. Fun is one of the incentives. Not all incentives is about financial gain.

9. Resplendor

Resplendor High Lord of Souls

Reading List:
    Link
    You also have to consider that school is probably picking up, so this is usually a slow time. Most translators are highschool/college kids who do it as a hobby. And when the quizzes and projects start flying, who has time to translate?
    They have higher priorities.

We'll probably see an uptick again as it gets closer to winter holidays.
    In the meantime, there's always MTL.

10. BooklessBookworm

BooklessBookworm Sensible Little Sister ꒰ঌ(⃔ ⌯' '⌯)⃕໒꒱

Reading List:
    Link
    Pros of picking it up
    -Fun for a short while
    -Get to practice Chinese a bit
    -Maybe build a community with a similar interest

Cons of picking it up
    -Risk of DMCA and getting sued
    -Have to work consistently
    -Sometimes get harassed by readers because of lack of skill or infrequent updates
    -No payment aside from ad revenue (some readers use ad-block)
    -Requires a lot time which many ppl can’t or aren’t willing to commit to

If you’re really desperate to read it, you could always try your own hand at translating. Otherwise, as readers, we can’t really do much but hope and wait. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can get dcma'd by a publisher. Webnovel and another one were known for going after translators. I remember when there were a lot of threads about it. The novel updates forum got dcma'd.
    you would need to have a vpn that doesn't log any of your information.Use an email that has no connection to yourself. Not receive any additional money, Kofi or have a Patreon. Anything they can use to track you.

While most publisher won't care webnovel does. Even if they don't plan on translating it they will still go after the translators. I remember someone saying webnovel is something like the Western Division of a Chinese publisher.

I agree, that novel is over 700 chapters long. Translating is a long process. What takes you a few minutes to read can take hours to translate. Committing to hours of translating ever week for over 10 years at a release every week or at least a year and a half if they release one a day is a lot. It's stops being fun very quickly.
    Is it a lot of money? No, but it is enough to keep them interested. That's also why they ask for Kofi and donations. Most that are in it for fun tend to loose interest.

Four reasons it might not be getting picked up

1. It's by webnovel, people avoid them and warn others to avoid them.

2. It isn't that interesting of a novel.

3. It's too long

4. It's too hard to mtl.

5. Toxic fan base

Ending note: If it's a novel worth picking up you do it. For the genres I read new novels are being added, dropped novels are being picked up and a few are getting updated every day. There are a lot of translators. They can pick up what they want and drop it when they want.

12. motokare

motokare EXO-L

Reading List:
    Link
    Assuming there was a lack of translators just by basing off one novel not getting picked, based.
    Assuming NU is responsible for lack of translators. Based.
    This is a community site. NU is not responsible for a lack or abundance of translators.

I have translated both novel and manga, and both take time. Chapters doesnt appear magically.. reading is easy..hbu try translating something, then you might know how laborious it is. If you dont know the source language, Theres always the unedited mtl route. then you can churn out 700+ chapters in one day. Theres no skillset to copy and paste. Toxic readers are always the one assuming chapters magically gets pulled out of our asses.

13. IceLight303

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_plusone:
    Reason number 5 a novel might not get picked up.

14. Purelove

Purelove Pure Love Translations

Reading List:
    Link
    If anything, I've noticed an influx of poorly done mtls. Just half a decade ago this community was mostly fan translators dedicating their time to produce quality translations, the mtl back then were well edited and people put effort into their projects; it was a small and close niche. Now, a lot of 'mtlers' have burrowed their way in here, churning out 10+ updates of unedited (or barely edited) subpar works on a daily basis, shadowing all the quality with their poor quantity.

yushubo, shubaow, baoshu -- to name a few, have all faced legal action and been permanently shut down

I suggest perhaps offering a paid gig if you desperately want this novel to be translated. Making a passive aggressive post on NUF warrants more hostility to the poster than attention to the novel itself

Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
    IceLight303 and BooklessBookworm like this.
  15. Nig

Nig Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fair enough. But I must repeat that it isn’t easy for publishers to find you even you leave internet trails behind, which can’t be avoided. It’s not WN can mobilize law enforcement to track you down and they have no access to internet data unlike ISPs and search engines. It will be exceedingly difficult for them to prove that it is this particular computer user in real life that infringed their copyright. I mean even copyright troll companies that do this for a living usually can’t accurately find you so I doubt WN can

16. Nig

Nig Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Btw, ur the first person ever to say Kingdom’s Bloodline isn’t that interesting a novel. It’s easily on par with RI and is leagues above lotm. I am curious, what sort of novel do u consider good?

17. hoenimochi

hoenimochi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What's Kingdom Bloodline?

You do realise that most of the people like romcom more
    Just because your favourite novel isn't translated by anyone doesn't mean there are so little translators here

I remember there's a guy who keep promoting his favourite novel in almost every single server I am in before he finally got someone to do it

It's not the lack of translator's, just lack of interest in KB novel

18. Luukia

Luukia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why don't you just tl it yourself if it's that good?

19. IceLight303

Reading List:
    Link
    Difficult but not impossible. It has happened before. They don't need to get the police involved to track your down, they have a department for that. The police hardly ever get involved in investigating cybercrimes. In the end it is not worth the risk of being jailed or fined $$$.

See that is the point. You really like the novel so think more people should be willing to sacrifice their time to translate it as it is that good. However just looking at the tags, I know I wouldn't like it.

Though it sounds like your just impatient. The novel started getting translated in September of 2018. That is roughly five years. If someone was dedicated and translated 1 chapter a week which is the norm for an novel, and nothing ever happened to the translator, only 260 chapters would be released 520 if done twice a week. The novel is currently at chapter 599.

20. Nig

Nig Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing is, it’s really not easy for them to gather enough evidence to form a watertight cause against u in court, and it would be useless if u live overseas. In addition, the money saved from suing translators cannot make up for the money spent to gather evidence as it would be very difficult.
    Btw, I really mean it when I said KB was good. U can’t judge novels by its tags. For example, although there is a loli tag, the loli is actually a bait, and a decent one at that. And although there is a magic tag, the story does not involve the mc solving problems by throwing fireballs at them. U should really try reading it.