Spoiler Latest Chapter Discussion Thread for Death Mage Raws

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by FussyBadger, Nov 25, 2017.

1. jemini

jemini Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Curious, just what would Van's application of the "law" domain look like? I can already picture him pretty well in the death domain, but Law? Well, I guess I COULD see him applying the rule I laid out earlier. He allows others to make the law, he's just the enforcer.

Claus likes this.
  2. Culaio

Culaio Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What I meant is that Van started with certain set of vampiric abilites like claws, status resistance, regeneration, bloodsucking and so on, they did grown stronger as story progressed and even many of them got awakened, but van didnt develop more skills from his vampirism, by comparison van death magic not only got stronger over time(and also awakened) but also lead to development of more skills tied to his death magic, like golem creation, soul/spirt related abilities, dead spirit magic and so on. Van's vampiric skill set is very self-contained, while death magic skill set continues to expand.
    Yeah I do know van developed many of abilities that vampires in other fiction posses but to me its very important how he developed those skills. You could say that to me its not about goal alone but journey to reach that goal too, of course at this point I realize that many of options got closed of with van developing skill that would fit for vampire through other means, but there are some options left for him.

I dont really have any specific skills in mind that I would want van to learn for sure, its more about generally expansion of van vampire related abilities. Vampires are most time associated with: blood, charming/mind control and illusions. and I think van could develop some abilities from his vampirism in those categories, of all of them I find it most likely that van could develop some blood related abiltiies, like blood manipulation, van already can use his demon king blood in creative way so development of this skill would be most likely to happen of all the options, but not just manipulate his own blood but also free flowing blood and at highest level possibly blood of others.
    Stuff like creating weapons like, swords, polearms, whips, blood constructs(both combat related and not), animating blood and so on, there is a LOT of things that can be done with blood.

By the way how exactly normal spirit magic works ? I kinda dont rembmer if it was mention but if I am not mistaken spirit isnt a seperate attribute, if magic doesnt have to be asociated with any attribute(or non-attribute) then technically blood magic could also be possible, magic using blood as medium or manipulating blood and/or its properties.

3. mai.rain

mai.rain Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay i understand, thank you.
    I can't really see Van developing these abilities as it was said dhampires only get the skills that their parent had so his skills are only going to be the ones his father had and as his father was a rather weak/new vampire with limited skills.
    I would like to see the Blood Control skill as i can see Van doing something like that.
    I can't recall seeing anyone using spirit magic or getting a real break down on it My own believe is it uses spirits such as the heroic or familiar to use the elements but i can't say for certain.

4. Culaio

Culaio Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Normally I would 100% agree with you about dhampires being unable to reach same level of power as vampires, especially first genereation and so on but author kinda made it possible by mentioning in the story that vampiric aspect grows stronger as they drink blood, and we saw van's bloodsucking skill evolve into bloodwork, since van evolved this skill thanks to demon king blood I am not really sure if its normal for dhampirs to evolve their bloodsucking skill but since there was no mention if its normally impossible for dhampirs so for now I assume it isnt impossible, and later skill further evolved into bloodruler, I am not sure under what conditions it happen so I could be wrong but this to me shows that van's vampiric half is growing stronger as he drinks blood, of course I recognize that it seems that it doesnt affect everything about van since it seems it doesnt affect van's lifespan(its not really mention), but van currently as a dhampir reached level not many if ANY vampire ever reached with their bloodsucking/bloodwork/bloodruler skill seeing how he unlocked blood ruler job which implies that either only few vampires reached this level but for whatever reason didnt pick blood ruler job(I think this would only happen if they also unlocked some other amazing job) or there was no vampire to ever reach this level, so I think that there could be some secret to vampires/vampire skills that no vampire ever found out, so there are still possibilties left.

Blood control depending on its limitation could be one of most versatile skills, both for offense and defense, deadman wonderland anime/manga shows many cool examples of blood control.

hope we will find out more about spirit magic later, but important thing is that magic doesnt have to be directly tied to magic attribute, so other types of magic like blood magic could be possible.

5. Isekai07

Isekai07 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At what chapter in the raw does Van finally go to Origin?

6. Nakakure

Nakakure Zadiris Empress Faction. NNN member Nr.1.

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's just drop this talk about Van vampiric side alright, after all his body biologically already change to Demon King Body. Heck his mother change to goddess Miko too.

Claus and hillo315 like this.
  7. heiro001

heiro001 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Van goes for his first visit in chapter 198.

Isekai07 and hillo315 like this.
  8. hillo315

hillo315 Intact but Tactless

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know... Van always struck me as a chaotic good character. In fact, I suspect that taking Alda's position as god of Law should be impossible once he takes the Chaos Guider job, if it's not impossible already. Van respects and enforces his own rules, but he doesn't acknowledge a universal standard for law, unlike Alda. Whenever the issue of law is brought up, Van says that there is no truly objective morality to base laws on, so it all boils down to opinion.
    By the way, what did how did lawmaking and law enforcement work before Bellwood came to Lambda? What role did Alda have? To my understanding, each god has their own doctrine, so I think Alda was originally supposed to be less domineering and more considerate and balanced, but otherwise similar to the way he is now.

Van can already use the Demon King's blood in creative ways.
    Combat and Field Uses:
    • Moveable like tentacles.
    • Coagulating to trap opponents in several ways.
    • A medium to use Group Binding Technique through.
    Medical and Other Uses:
    • Essential component of blood potion, which is very supernaturally delicious and nutritious and addictive, and comes with a potent life-restoring effect.
    • A magical (death attribute, of course) mutagen, capable of transforming certain animals into monsters. Caused by Van's Mutagenesis skill. This effect is present in blood potion as a side effect.

Van can easily manipulate blood using Golem Creation, but creating permanent useful tools out of blood seems terribly impractical and unnecessary.

Dead Spirit Magic is magic cast using dead spirits as mediums for the magic. Ghosts attuned to certain attributes can be used to cast spells of that attribute. Not only does Dead Spirit Magic consume mana relatively efficiently, it allows one to use magic of attributes that the caster does not have an aptitude for. This makes it especially useful for Van, who can otherwise only use the death attribute.
    There is one other kind of spirit described in the story, and that seems to be nature spirits(?), which are phenomena rather than individual souls. (I don't recall exactly if they're "nature spirits". What exactly are they called, again? They were mentioned just once, when it was explained that one Braver had the ability to create and use spirits of this sort.) These spirits seem to be more like elementals. The use of only dead spirits for magic is explained in detail, and the use of other spirits is never really expanded on.

Dead spirits (and souls in general, to some extent) are associated with the death attribute.
    Blood has strong ties to the life attribute. Magic that makes use of blood this way probably counts as life attribute magic, though I'm not sure that blood magic exists in Lambda in quite the way you described it. Van may someday become able to use blood magic, but it would probably have to be by eating a god with similar powers. Of course, Van can already do these things to a very limited extent, but it's not enough to be considered its own branch of magic.

Attributeless magic is extremely limited. The most you can easily do with it is manipulate mana and exert physical force on things. For more complex and abstract magic, using attributes is highly recommended, if not absolutely necessary. Again, blood magic seems to be a subset of life attribute magic because blood is symbolically linked to life.

A question of my own: What are the 4 major Guduranis soul fragments Rodcorte is keeping sealed away? I forgot what fragments they are and I don't remember where it's mentioned.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  9. jemini

jemini Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Indeed, Van is already more like Hellsing Ultimate's Allucard rather than the traditional Dracula. Let's go down the list.

Can pass through walls
    Can turn into distorted forms with eyes everywhere
    Can freely summon demons
    He is an expert marksman
    His blood can summon his servants (battle with Bugitas)
    He perminantly keeps the powers of everyone he devours
    He gains permanent power-ups from blood drinking
    He has none of the traditional Vampire weaknesses.

Yeah, Van is pretty much Hellsing's Allucard. And I mean like, full power final episode of Hellsing Ultimate Allucard. He can already do EVERYTHING Allucard can... except turn other people into Vampires. That is the one and only thing Vandaleu can't do that Allucard can.

Bla8bla, Claus and hillo315 like this.
  10. hillo315

Reading List:
    Link
    But he can turn vampires into abyssal vampires!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  11. anteopta

anteopta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    he can cause a change of race to his subordinates, just like a vampire can change a human to a vampire. something that can be done by just drinking his blood potion (my assumtion on why you transform into a vampire after a bite, is that it happens not because of the bite, but because the saliva of the vampire enters the blood vessel)

12. Wannabe-shutin

Wannabe-shutin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    in some lore it is done by the exchange of blood (mostly by drinking from the vampire)

13. Mesaphrom

Mesaphrom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The ones I am sure was "memories" and "personality", the ones I am not so sure was "will" his "instinct".

hillo315 likes this.
  14. jemini

jemini Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Rodcorte is sealing his "power" and "memories," it is specifically mentioned these are the two aspects of Guduranis that have the least aspect of turning Ed... whatever his name was into a duplicate of Guduranis if they were used to recover his soul. The other 3 fragments of Guduranis' soul are held by the gods of Lamba, 2 of them are held by Alda himself, and the location of the last of the 5 fragments is never actually specified.

(It named all 5 fragments, but "power" and "memories" which are the 2 fragments Rodcorte is holding are the only ones I am 100% on those being the names of the fragments. The other 3, all I remember is that 1, there are 3 of them and they are held by the Alda gods, and 2, they are aspects that are a lot more central to what made up Guduranis' manner of thinking and guided his actions than the fragments that Rodcorte has.)

15. Mesaphrom

Mesaphrom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Leaving the DK's soul aside, since the DK's Body said they would soon be reunited, where would the rest of the pieces be at? I am assuming that this does not include the DK's soul, since it is not technically a fragment. We know that the empire have more DK Equipment and it is most likely not the ones used by Phitun's gang since they were acting secretly and mainly in Orbaum, and we also know that Alda's side have some sealed away with them and so does Alda's temples. My impression is that not many, if any at all remain in Orbaum after Phitum's pillaging, well, the nose was still in Orbaum territory after Heinz sealed it and gave it to one of Alda's temples, so there is at least that one.

hillo315 likes this.
  16. hillo315

Reading List:
    Link
    Excellent. So it's power, personality, memories, and possibly instinct. From what I remember, the Demon King's will is imprinted onto the body fragments, but it isn't a fragment of its own. The 5th soul fragment is still unknown. There's the soul powder, for all the miscellaneous bits. Then there's the shadow, which the gods somehow missed. This is somewhat reminiscent of the ancient Egyptian idea of the different parts of the soul, right? Hmmm... :blobthinkingsmirk:

If Van didn't collect all the Demon King fragments from all the gods of Vida's faction, I would be genuinely surprised that he now has almost all of the fragments. Aside from the nose, which we know is sealed in an Alda temple, there are a lot of places these fragments could be.
    For example, we had no reason to believe that the mucus would be on the Demon King continent. Before, when there were many more fragments out there, we could trust that Van could randomly find some fragments every so often. Now, unless Van actively searches for new fragments, we can't expect fragments to just turn up as they have before. In the worst-case scenario, Van will have to travel the whole world just to make sure he collects all the fragments.
    As for the nose, and other fragments sealed in an Alda temple somewhere, Van will probably have to head straight into enemy territory to collect them. Of course, Van might be able to sneak in without even the gods noticing, but it's still extremely risky. Possibly suicidal, even. Even if the resident Alda worshippers stand no chance of stopping Van, they need only pray to Alda for help and Alda will then notice that Van is in his temple.

17. jemini

jemini Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It may be crude, but ever since Van got the Demon King's falopian tubes, that lead me to wondering if there was a Demon King's phallus out there anywhere. This is something that has been legitimately bothering me, because is the "Demon King" female by a bizzare twist, or is the Demon King hermaphroditic?

hillo315 likes this.
  18. jemini

jemini Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Again, Rodcorte only has the power and memories. Personality and "possibly instinct" are held by Alda and/or some other unspecified member of the Alda gods.

Mesaphrom and hillo315 like this.
  19. hillo315

Reading List:
    Link
    We have no way of knowing what gender the Demon King is now, if not female. The original Guduranis was supposedly male, but I am aware that Japanese pronouns don't always clarify gender. Guduranis may very well have been a hermaphrodite. :blobdrool:

I know. I'm concerned with what the soul fragments are, not who they're sealed with.

Mesaphrom likes this.
  20. Nakakure

Nakakure Zadiris Empress Faction. NNN member Nr.1.

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't demon king fragment unconsiosly try to join Van? Except the sealed one of course. Hmm will Van eat Demon King Seal on Botin.