Recommendations Malay novels, give me strength...

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by LaDyViL, Oct 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrS4n

MrS4n Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    still i wished got malay novelist who wrote online like other country novelist

Ionseeker likes this.
  2. lenyek_penyek

lenyek_penyek Badass Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly. But that's a given since those novelist may had never been exposed to other kinds of novels other than the romance ones written locally.

Writing thrillers like RAM requires a lot of creativity and research. Too hard for beginners, so many give up early, the few that tried and not as good as RAM were left unknown under the piles of those cliche novels.

One of the reason I just stopped reading them long ago.

3. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not to mention, venturing into other new genres while one genre is all the rage is a silent taboo for the creative industry in Malaysia. So we're stuck with lame lame dull boring and boring.

4. DarthOu

DarthOu 《Lord Vader》

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude, i'm from malaysia and I wouldn't read the shit.

5. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    I won't call them sh.it....just really cringe-worthy.

ReadOrDie likes this.
  6. Averroes93

Averroes93 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While clearly not on par with novels by RAM, there are certain fiksi novel like Awan which is quite good though. Acceptible. But yeah, most of nowadays malay novel just full of drama pukul 7. Mak tiri jahat (evil stepmother), mertua xterima menantu and all that.

7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    oh so it's not much different from Indonesia novel trend

8. lenyek_penyek

Reading List:
    Link
    Same thing happens in Indonesia huh. No wonder all the TV dramas from Indonesia broadcasted on Malaysian TVs are all of the same cliche themes too, makes sense. Our medias influences each other lol.

asriu likes this.
  9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    please spare me from sinetron orz I suspect there are something like mafia who control sinetron industry
    btw india series on rage here also a chanel start to airing CN drama based on novel(maybe)

lenyek_penyek likes this.
  10. lenyek_penyek

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, finally a channel that understands the industry needs some variety and decided to broadcast some CN stuff. Not bad. There are few chinese dramas here too aimed mainly at chinese audience, but somehow I find it weird to watch those live-action Kung Fus and running on the air lol.

High-fantasy stories feels weird when adapted into live-action. Better to be adapted into animation.

asriu likes this.
  11. darkshooter190

darkshooter190 Lurker, I see and knows nothing

Reading List:
    Link
    Read form 4 and 5 Komsas novel from other states..

12. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    It's totally true that most Malaysian novels these days are all about romance and religion. If you see any books under the romance section and a girl in hijab as the cover, run away. Some are good, most are shit. I won't even feed stray dogs with it, assuming dogs would even eat paper. For romance, they always said something along the lines of "love to god is more important" and the protagonist eventually become good muslim despite it being a romance novel. As for religious novels, most of them proclaim Islam as the greatest religion the world have ever seen and other religions are out to wipe them out. Some novels are more mellow, but still say the same thing.

I strongly recommend not reading any of it. That's why I'm making my own publication company to change people's mindsets. However, there is a growing change. Any novel with the label 'FIXI' or 'LEJEN PRESS' are not romance. They may have romance, but it's not the main focus of the story. They're more seriously written and there are many sci fi and fantasy titles, which I would recommend, if I still remember. Unfortunately I haven't bought any new books since I quit my job at MPH Bookstore.

I went on a retreat some months ago with a bunch of Malaysian writers such as Lokman Hakim who already published several titles under Fixi. He said his books doesn't sell well, despite being among the top author in sci fi genre. Malaysians simply don't buy sci fi, preferring the trashy romance and religious books instead.

Saga series were indeed good. They were among Abdul Talib Hassan's best works, written before the whole craze about putting Islamic values in books became the norm. There were 3 books in the series, concerning friendship, betrayal, cheating (or perceived cheating, they guy thought his wife was cheating but she wasn't), prostitution, incest (without intention), government corruption and plenty of action.

I strongly recommend Konserto Terakhir by Abdullah Hussin. No, don't read the literature component version, I haven't read it but I was told the literature component version omitted stuff that was deemed unsuitable for high school students. Konserto Terakhir made me cry a lot. It's written in Baku, and to the Gen Z Malaysians, they probably thought it was written by an Indonesian.

HLOVATE is an author who write a lot of bestsellers these days. But IIRC, his books are all romance and aimed at Malaysian teens. So I wouldn't recommend it.

Earlier Ahadiat Akashah books such as Legenda Budak Setan, Katerina, Fiona, Hikayat Cinderella and some others that are no longer in print were really enjoyable. Unfortunately, his later books were published during the Islamization of literature and he almost went bankrupt once. His later books such as Profesional tried to bring back his former style, but it didn't take off. Sad. Fiona was so scandalous, I heard it was banned from publication, out of a trilogy, the company was only able to publish the first book which was also banned later. Unfortunately I have not had the pleasure of meeting Ahadiat Akashah to ask him about the fate of his banned books.

So basically, any books before the Islamization of literature are probably what you're looking for.

Also, if you see a book titled Rayyan Fantasi, don't buy it. It's Ramlee Awang Murshid's attempt to write a surreal fantasy with sci fi and Islamic element, but it ended up being weird and forced, a combination that will make you scratch your head while asking "How exactly can this be published?"

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    LaDyViL and ReadOrDie like this.
  13. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm Malay and I write online... but I haven't put my Malay language stories online yet.

asriu likes this.
  14. MrS4n

MrS4n Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Post it and let the world know that malay novel is not about romance and religion

15. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Post it. Maybe we'll go and make one site like RRL for Malay novels like syotesu... Or something like Qidian or ncode...would be nice.

16. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    It's in the planning stage but currently my company doesn't have the budget for it yet. I'm too much of a perfectionist, I guess. I don't accept anything half-ass.

17. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    It'll be nice to have a platform for independent authors here. Those who don't have a good grasp of the language could at least put forth their ideas. Who knows, it might even get attention from publishers. What I want more is to have different genres instead of cliche plots in novels nowadays. Challenge authors to delve into other genres. Haiz...maybe when I'll have grandchildren haha...

Asteriaaa likes this.
  18. MrS4n

MrS4n Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's right break the curse chain of romance and religion novel in malay novel

19. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Perburuan "HUNTING" by Pramoedya Ananta Noer.
    A story about a PETA soldier that was accused by the occupying Japan soldier as traitors and rebels. Watch the personal conflict between independence idealism with the plea from his soon to be father-in-law, the traitor (collaborator) by his closest people, the bond and the love...

There is romance, but it is not this novel main focus.

Dari Ave Maria Ke Jalan Lain ke Roma (From Ave Maria to Other Roads to Rome) by IDRUS.
    Short stories anthology about stories set in the time of Japanese occupation in Indonesia. One word for the narration diction: splendid (if you understand old Indonesian). As expected from the pioneer poet of New Indonesian Prose.

Ai chan likes this.
  20. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not able to thoroughly understand Indonesian. That's why I request for Malay novels. Whether I'll be able to not cringe at them is another matter altogether, ughh...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.