Nobusada, Sousetsuka, and the Pro-Poaching Mentality

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by xant, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1ia

1ia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You are right, but I wanted to note that not all translators make money off their translations since some are aware that making money off of translations is (pretty much) illegal

Dori and CountryMage like this.
  2. xant

xant Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That would not only have been manipulative of me, but also dishonest. Dickish I might be, but that's going too far.

3. Asobi

Asobi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not cut out the rest of the conversation, but literally not have the rest of the conversation in the first place is what he meant. (I'm guessing at least)

Cancel, kenar, Negixnodoka and 3 others like this.
  4. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    No, I meant you don't say anything after that and escalate the situation further; you know yourself better than anyone, you should have known how pissed you would get. So, it probably would have helped you if asked for the opinions of the people that are going to read the translation, or at the very least someone in the TL'ing community to come and play peacemaker. #InHindsight

5. Avrnea

Avrnea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    no, u are missing the point where i was replying to how he said that me quoting someone about liking it to robbing someone and painting a random scenery is different.

6. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He was going through the motions of politeness because he assumed he would be told yes. If he was told yes like he wanted and expected then there would not be enmity between them.

But once he was told no, he thought about it, and decided... hey, even if they claim they want to keep it, releasing 1 chapter and then nothing after 4 months makes it morally ok to poach. So he can ignore their wishes and do his own thing and he doesn't care if it upsets them.

Dori and Raobihr like this.
  7. xant

xant Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I'm not one to ignore someone being a total dick about things. Oops on me, I guess?

If you see me chewing someone out, they most likely deserved it in some sense. I may go over the top and be quick to insult, but like I said, I'm not going to just sit around and watch other people get bullied. If it's my team you insult, it's a much more rapid descent.

8. Potatos

Potatos [Mostly Inactive] [Frozen Ink's Slave #2]

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, I love how much our conversation fits in with the rest of the thread. :ROFLMAO:

kenar, Mark-18 and CountryMage like this.
  9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    Both Eat.png continue~ don't mind me~ loop a loop~ running on circle~

kenar, Negixnodoka, Mark-18 and 2 others like this.
  10. Delirious

Reading List:
    Link
    OMG, that's the whole point. He decided I DO NOT CARE and basically said I'm doing it anyway, deal with it. I don't care if it's 4 months or 40 years; he asked and was told NO. After that, they negotiate; sadly, this is where Xants flipped, so that's how this ended up. Is it really so hard to understand?

11. xant

xant Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    With all the hate comments aimed at me for being mad at a series being taken, clearly yes. People don't understand what's going on here.

GM_Rusaku likes this.
  12. jephyr

jephyr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well sometimes some people who "put real work" in their cake can only make it as good as those instant cake box, and sometimes those instant cake box taste better than handmade cake.

lovelyxday and CountryMage like this.
  13. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you know why he did it, then why ask "why did he do this"?

14. Delirious

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh, I think of it as filler; since after reading all these comments, I went through like 2 story arcs.

15. Delirious

Reading List:
    Link
    The point is, he should not have thought: I DO NOT CARE. You must have been really loved by your teachers huh?

16. Avrnea

Avrnea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if u want ppl to understand that sousetsuka disrespected u and ur team then u should take out the "pro-poaching" part of the title~ but if ur saying sousetsuka poached ur "novel" which u haven't updated nor had a word of for 4 months.. then ur the one in the wrong~

Negixnodoka, Dori and Guan Zhong like this.
  17. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe you are attributing a "side" to me when all I did was explain his thought process.
    No, you seem to be confusing a translator with the original author. If it was the original author then it would be up to negotiation. But since it is a fellow translator there is nothing to negotiate, as many people are free to translate something simultaneously as they wish. It is at most a "rude" thing to ignore the request of the previous translator.

kenar, Negixnodoka, Dori and 4 others like this.
  18. Asobi

Asobi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @xant
    It's not about letting him walk all over you or something like that. The email was indeed insufferable, but you're trying to talk respect and decency when all we can see on the outside is someone who got triggered over a single exchange of words and proceeded to namecall and bicker about technicalities.

Negixnodoka, Dori and Nexro like this.
  19. xant

xant Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Except people are justifying this entire thing with "but you took too long to post a new chapter so this is 100% ok!"

Disrespecting another community member, much less a person, like this is not acceptable under any circumstances.
    People validating all of this because they just want new chapters is not acceptable.
    The bashing I am getting for people not understanding this is disappointing.

Like the title of my original blog post: "I thought the community was better than this".

Dori likes this.
  20. Delirious

Reading List:
    Link
    Hah, k, you know what? This went off track; the whole point of our discussion was the initial first responses. I worded things badly since neither have the "rights" to TL these novels anyway.

My point is: Sousetsuka asked a question to which a comply was answered with no, he didn't like that and said well, whatever, I want to do it so I will. I don't care what he's asking for, why he is asking and to whom he is asking, he still asked and was answered. It's how he went about it is the problem, I don't care I want to do it anyway is not something people asking for permission should do, at least if they have any respect for the other party, which he didn't, end of story.

Dori likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.