Recommendations Parody/Extremely Ironic Novels

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Halcyon Observer, May 28, 2021.

?

Do you put pineapples on your pizza?

1. Yes (I am a heretic, and I am proud of it.)

33.3%
  2. No (I am not an imbecile.)

33.3%
  3. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA (AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.)

13.3%
  4. Sample Text

20.0%
  1. Halcyon Observer

Halcyon Observer Full stop

Reading List:
    Link
    I am looking to read any recommendations that is a bit self-aware of its own story or the tropes usually attached to it. Konosuba is a good example of where it parodies and destroys certain isekai tropes within its own story.

Recommendations added with a bit of background would be appreciated.

Notice: I do NOT consider Invisible Dragon as well as its related works to be "Parodies" or "Extremely Ironic."
    This includes other marvelous works such as Invijible Panda and Peerless Martial Arts.

Invisible Dragon is a masterpiece and an original artwork in and of itself. I find the terms "Parody" and "Ironic" extremely insulting and offensive to the text because such terms do not do enough justice for an exalted status of such a scripture.

To also call Invisible Dragon a "sham" or "cursed" is evil, words only uttered by this world's most wicked charlatans and heretics, namely, the peopleinferior lifeforms who put pineapples on their pizzas.

Despapa69 likes this.
  2. frrama

frrama Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I doubt it's like what you're looking for, but just in case, I'll throw out this:

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/white-lotus-overturned-daily/

It's a crackfic/parody of the typical scenario of "female lead in ancient China, abused to death by her scum family, is reborn to her youth and will use this second chance to make them regret treating her terribly". But what the novel's synopsis fails to mention is that in between her death and rebirth, she spends about a millenium in a cultivation world where she becomes the ridiculously OP supreme master of basically everything (martial arts, medicine, music, painting, probably a few other things I have forgotten about); so by day she's putting on the pitiful fragile white lotus act in front of her relatives and swindling/guilt-tripping them into treating her better, while at night she's running around like a ninja, investigating her mother's murder, rescuing princes, single-handedly beating up troupes of enemies, etc.

Due to the ridiculously misleading novel description
    (IIRC it accurately describes a moment right in the fic's very last chapter - only it's the moment right before she finally gets tired of her public white lotus act, brings out a whip, and gleefully gives her scumbag ex-fiance a thrashing in front of the whole court. (He finds this a turn-on.) The Crown Prince, rather than protecting her, was basically just letting her show off and giving her permission to do whatever she liked - not that she really needed his permission for anything)
    I get the impression most of the reviewers were expecting a more traditional face-slapping historical novel, and many of them seem to have somehow not noticed that it's a deliberately ludicrous piece of writing in which no paragraph should be taken even slightly seriously. I found it quite entertaining at the start, though the joke wore thin after a while - it's a very short novel but still would have made a better short story IMO.

(...But I love pineapple on pizza so make of my tastes what you will.)

3. Despapa69

Despapa69 Revered 17 Syllable Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    History's Strongest Senior Brother, My Disciples Are All Villains, FFF-Class Trashero I'm The Mc, Why Do I Suck At Cultivating, I Simply Won't Play By The Book