[Poll] Would you watch your language around a senstive acquaintance?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Oct 5, 2019.

Tags:
?

Would you watch your language around a senstive acquaintance?

1. Yes - Always, because you never know who is sensitive regardless of who is present

28 vote(s)
    20.7%
  2. Yes - If I knew there was a single person present who would be upset

24 vote(s)
    17.8%
  3. Yes - If there were sensitive acquaintances present, but I don't care about strangers feelings

11 vote(s)
    8.1%
  4. Yes - If there were sensitive friends present, but I don't care about acquaintances feelings

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. Yes - Because I want to look good to my friends

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  6. Yes - Other reason

11 vote(s)
    8.1%
  7. No - Because I have the right to say what I want and anything else is censorship

5 vote(s)
    3.7%
  8. No - Because I wouldn't hang out with someone this sensitive

20 vote(s)
    14.8%
  9. No - Because this acquaitance needs to learn how to deal with it

11 vote(s)
    8.1%
  10. No - Because the acquaintance should go somewhere else

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. No - Because I don't think the acquaintaince is serious and she's being overdramatic

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  12. No - Because they're just being politically correct and nobody is actually hurt

7 vote(s)
    5.2%
  13. No - Because watching my language would kill at the fun

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  14. No - Other reason

10 vote(s)
    7.4%
  15. I do not wish to answer

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's one thing if they asked me not to use the word at the time. It's another to randomly leave in the middle of a match. If she's the type of person to leave in the middle of the match for such a reason then I don't want to play with her regardless.

That being said I don't really use the official curse words. It tends to be f*g, retard, my race's slur, cocksucker, or something like that.

AMissingLinguist and GDLiZy like this.
  2. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's probably the same as how black people get triggered when a white person says the N-word.
    I...don't know what I'd do. I don't really ever swear or flip out.

But if it's concerning a girl, then I'm usually always being slightly more considerate and quiet around women.
    I personally don't feel restricted or anything when actively staying quiet and reserved, cause it's already somewhat in my personality...but for someone who's more active and loud, it might feel weird and suffocating. So, do you I guess. I usually wouldn't care about her being offended by me saying something for which I'm not truly at fault, but I wouldn't mind going through the trouble if my friend came to me asking me for a favor like that.

AliceShiki and lychee like this.
  3. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    I had the scenario designed in my head as a genuine trigger for a traumatic experience.

It's not very reasonable to expect someone having a flashback (e.g. abusive parents with rough language) to be able to continue playing -- which is why it was written as a disconnect.

It takes a certain degree of willpower and strength to be able to speak up politely in the moment. If someone really is bothered to the point that they're very upset, it's usually far more likely for the person to remove themselves from the situation instantly. If they have the mental capacity to debate and articulate themselves, to me they aren't actually "triggered" to the point of being totally upset -- it's more like it's only "slightly annoying".

4. Dgsmasta

Dgsmasta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now turns out everyone here is polite, huh.

Westeller likes this.
  5. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is plenty of idiots with no excuse for such behavior doing it anyway.

otaku31 likes this.
  6. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    What's wrong with polite? :blobsmilehappyeyes::blobsmilehappyeyes::blobsmilehappyeyes:

Yup, but it's wholly impossible to tell who has a "genuine excuse" and who doesn't.

I don't personally play games, but I don't see Girl-chan as having done anything wrong.

Something bothered her, so she left. What's wrong with that?

I mean it's only a game in the end.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2019
  7. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    It doesn't really work like that, though? There are different kinds of flashbacks, like emotional flashbacks, and sometimes that causes more words rather than less.

Me, I can rant my head off when I'm triggered. People get scared by the viscous hostility and rage.

I agree that leaving the game is the best course of action for someone who's triggered, though. That's a fairly responsible response.

8. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Right. Actually I got a PM a couple minutes ago from an anonymous person saying that they disagreed with me too -- so your points are absolutely taken!

I think I was projecting my own feelings as a generalization, and it was definitely over-stretching my boundaries. :notlikeblob::notlikeblob::notlikeblob:

I'm personally the kind of person who goes completely unresponsive and shut down when I'm upset. :blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2:

9. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
    I like to be sensitive in real life, I'm an extremely open person that will just talk to strangers, and I'm an introvert. I may be a sociopath.

10. Feng Tian

Reading List:
    Link
    Imagine a football game. Someone calls her a daft cunt. She walks off the field without saying anything.
    What would you do as team mate? Not talk to her for a month and never play with her again.
    Is an online game any different? No. Thats the problem right there.

11. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If this was a normal conversation outside I might watch my language because swearing will be rude but if it's multiplayer game I will not control my fucking mouth. If you're a dumbass then I'll call you a fucking dumbass

12. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not really prepared to get into a debate about the importance of online games, but it's not like you're pro?

At best, you can really only say it's a hobby.

If you mom tells her teenage child to get off the computer right now because Grandma fell down -- or if you girlfriend demanded that you pay attention to her right now because she's crying -- well, there's no choice in that.

Real life comes first. Similarly speaking, I would personally say a real person's feelings comes first too. However, I think maybe lots of people wouldn't agree with me that.

13. Feng Tian

Reading List:
    Link
    If something is true then it is fine to say it. No matter what it is.

14. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    Wheres the option "yes because thats something you should be doing"

15. Feng Tian

Reading List:
    Link
    Its not like you are playing football as a pro either. The issue is that among all the options, like /mute all, leaving discord etc, she took the one that fucked her team mates over. Behavior like that is near inexcusable and honestly I wouldn't mind seeing every last person doing permanently banned from the game. The only reason it is not as strictly enforced is the fact that emergencies, power cuts and router crashes exist. Playing with her again is utterly out of the question.

16. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    But if she stayed, she might have done nothing except hyperventilate and stand still anyway? Or make a ton of mistakes if she tried to keep playing.

17. starwarscards

starwarscards Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So let me turn the coin around. As I don't like playing with ppl that swear I would only leave that game if it got really bad and there was no mute button. Also would have asked them to stop before leaving as well. For the ppl that get all mad that I would leave, IT IS A GAME! If I am not having fun why am I still playing? Is this a professional event? No so I don't have to deal with it so I won't. After that game though I would then refuse all invitations to play with that person again.

So saying that if someone asked me to stop saying something that made them uncomfortable of course I would stop.

18. Feng Tian

Reading List:
    Link
    Better than a 4 vs 5. She basically doomed her team.

19. Feng Tian

Reading List:
    Link
    Then accept the consequences and never play with these people again. Doing otherwise is imposing your position upon theirs and that is very very stupid to do. As I said, I would not play with her again. Most people would not.

BigBadBoi likes this.
  20. GotDied

GotDied Just a friendly rotten hermit~

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, A-kun should have at least warn his friends that 'Hey, during game time. My other friends might say unpleasant words. You know, too excited' or maybe 'Hey, I've invited my girl friend. Could you try to tone down cursing. She's slightly sensitive'.

In my situation, I usually say bad words depending on I am with, time or location. For example, in front of my elders or seniors I behave demure. Then when I'm with my friends, I don't even get shy spilling on R18 contents I've saw last night on public. We are even worse in our group chat, we call each other whore, slut, faggots, and gay. We even try to grossed each other by sending hentai or other 'supposed-to-be' censored images.

In conclusion, I put most of the blame to A-kun.