S24 AI worth it?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Shiki, Jan 19, 2024.

1. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One of the routine task I have to do is to transcribe meeting notes. I’m wondering if this is good enough for a purchase of a Samsung S24, considering that the AI is supposed to be free only up to the end of 2025, also the language support for my language is said to be coming in Q2/2024, so that cuts more time the AI will be free. I’m not really a heavy user of phone, mid range phone like A52 is enough for me, spec-wise. I probably will upgrade when the security upgrade is done if my current phone doesn’t break.

is S24 really worth it for the AI feature? I don’t feel like it is. It is a phone that will increase my productivity, but as the feature is going to be on subscription model, I feel like I should just look for AI meeting transcription software instead.

2. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    what language do you need?
    Samsung phones are not so great, especially the UI. Also do not purchase anything before the said function that you need are introduce to the said device.
    If you live in china or use Chinese and English i would prefer PHILIPS VTR5210 .
    though if you are rich enough to purchase a Samsung you can go for a vtr9000 instead.

https://www.dictation.philips.com/audio-video-recorders/

Nom de Plume likes this.
  3. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    About 80% Indonesian, 20% English.

having experienced Samsung oneUI in A52 and iOS, I feel like the iOS is worse in UI. Haven’t experienced stock android yet, but.I don’t feel troubled even compared to ASUS zenfone in terms of UI usability.

As for that rich, I’m not going to be the one paying. If it can be proven that the productivity can be improved, my boss is quite generous in accepting our requests for software and hardware in the past. I don’t care for the phone itself, as long as access to it can be provided during meeting in the company, I’m alright with it…

Nom de Plume likes this.
  4. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As there are both iPhone 15 and a Huawei Mate 60 user in my family as both my parents use elderly phones. Those two OS are more generous to elderly. personally, I use Xiaomi as I need to connect with my tablet and laptop. So I won't be the best experience comparison.

As personal experience, I think mate 60 is better, the UI is smoother. But Huawei laptop and tablet are more expensive, although less expensive than Samsung, but still cost quite a lot.
    As for voice tracer, since Indonesian isn't a major language as 6 major language in UN. As UN is the single big organization that spent more than half of its total funding in translation and linguistics. It's difficult to look for a both affordable and accurate voice tracer that isn't a major language.
    Though there is a saying, as Xiaomi you pay half as much in price but get half as much in experience. But Samsung cost even more but with little experience.
    Well locally Samsung get 1.1% market share compared to 0.8% market share in 2018. it's 37% rise in 5 years lol.

though let's be fair, Samsung is quite strong in their hardware, with their own NAND, Dram, their own display, their own semiconductors, and their own CMOS, which allow them to have higher profit margin as compare to other companies. Though their software and their AI isn't amazing. As the major cost of an electronic is not it's hardware, but it's software. Their software isn't grate, their SSD have firmware issues with 0E and 03 errors. Their UI on their phones been hard to use, their device interconnection ability simply sucks and their AI on international convention not amazing.

your are better off buying a Lenovo laptop and tablet if you bought a Samsung device.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
  5. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve tried some transcription software in the past and to be honest most were not very good, even the ones for English. You might want to voice record to type out notes to compare after meeting to fix inevitable errors. I would be interested in hearing about it once you find something that works for you.

The software I hear most good things about (Dragon NaturallySpeaking) unfortunately does not seem to be available in Indonesian. My brief Google searches came back with something called Sonix. Unfortunately there is no app and it involves uploading audio files. Uploading audio of work meetings to an untrusted source always feels a bit sketchy to me. :/

Buying into the Samsung ai without being able to test the result and having a potential cut off date seems like a big gamble, but if there are not better alternatives at this time…

Choose what works best for your work environment. There might be some transcription/dictation services already available to you like in Microsoft Word, if you use it.

edit: word transcribe link does have a list of available languages; seems to be at least 80 of them fingers crossed

xiazixin likes this.