Discussion That Time I Got Reincarnated into a Slime (Dub)

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by bleh360, Jan 7, 2019.

1. bleh360

bleh360 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    WOWWWWW

There are a few things I like when watching dub and are the only reason I would watch a dub.
    1. I can understand everything even while doing menial tasks like folding clothes. Dubbed amines and cartoons are like the best thing next to soap operas that I can play while cleaning my room or do laundry or even sometimes homework.

2. I get to see what an anime would be like if Japanese were not the certain of all anime-verse. Like yo Japanese really love Japanese they ain't very diverse and when they are, they are like completely racist! So dub provides me a nice viel "let's use our imaginations and pretend this pink haired girl is actually from Canada!"

3. I evaluate how well english speaking actors/actresses can interpret another language. I mean I'm not too clear on who gets to do the the actual translation but i like to think there are some creative differences and inputs from actors/actresses much like well all acting is! So I like to see what they do with a character.
    For That Time I got reincarnated as slime, I never read the novel, (bite me! IT'S NOT TRANSLATED ENOUGH!) but I dabbled in the manga cause the slime looked so cute it was like....so fluff monster for me. So anyways.... thats my background knowledge

I saw it had a dub by Funimation, Funimation has been stepping it up since One Piece and just climbing the ranks like a BO$$. So I watched a few episodes.... and like WOOOOOWWWW

1. This anime makes me want to pay attention, like i already know whats gonna happen cause i read a little of the manga, but somehow the voice of rimuru is just so loveable. I'll be listening and I'll hear a phrase and go "OMG SO CUTE!!" and have a giggly fit, now don't get me wrong I have't heard the sub so maybe it's even cuter, idk, but color me impressed to find an english actor/actress who can make a cute voice without it sounding like aan extremely annoying voice (Saiki K's Mom in the dub version was ear splitting like sooooo bad)

2. So this dub took some liberties... and I am not sure if these are also in the sub or not, but rimuru has some...how should i put this...not 90's slang...but maybe 00's slag... like "the bomb.com" and "whats up yo?" it doesn't sound very forced with the accompaniment of the voice but I don't remember rimuru being that kind of slime in the manga. I feel like rimuru died a japanese and was reborn as an american slime lmaoo, i truly enjoyed some of the syntax for the giggles.

3. Whether the syntax is actually an actress/actor choice I don't know but they do make these phrases very seamlessly to the point where it really does not sound out of place and really works with the carefree attitude rimuru has. It reminds me of when ash was still 10 yrs old and he used to turn his cap around and say "I choose you!" the good ole' days . Speaking of caps i always picture rimuru with a cap for some reason and I know this is not something that happens but yeah when watching this anime I can't help but see a different rimuru than I did in the manga and it's not necessarily bad. I can only assume it's the superb acting on this part. For other characters, Gobta's voice was pretty on point, just how i pictured him to sound actually and the tempest wolves voices were exactly as imagined...so i think overall pretty decent for what i have seen.

I'll Give it an A rank... it's no SS and it's not S but it's A. Only because I feel like some of the other voices were so shallow that they didn't even help me remember who the character was or even like remember the character or even know who the character was just by voice without looking. There were only a couple like that, but rimuru's performance was enough to push it up from B to A, so thats what I'm going with.

What do you guys think? A rank? Or should the blatant change in slang make it a lower rank, no matter how cute it sounds since he is still japanese saying japanese jokes?

FYI: I do not watch anime for the animation at all, I watch for either the story of character interpretations which means I'm mostly only ever listening and not actually watching the show, this is the same with most TV shows for me.

2. kfahad

kfahad 『The Lurker Beast』『Beast fallen』

Reading List:
    Link
    You know the MC is Gabil? Reincarnated as a Lizardman. xD
    I mean the fight scene of Gabil is more epic than the fight of Rimuru, and also the episode 14? He's acting like the MC, I remember the scene of Luffy and ace at marine ford.haha

3. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not translated enough?

Were you trying to say it is not translated well enough or that the translation isn't finished?

The former is dependant on your standard of quality. The latter... last I checked there was 1 chapter left to translate... it's probably finished now though.

bleh360 likes this.
  4. Truciderete

Truciderete Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

OP might also be talking about the LN version which it's English Version is owned by Yen Press so there is no online translation to it. You are correct though that the WN version is fully translated

Heads up though for the WN version you will have to use a PDF or equivalent of PDF for the first couple of Arcs as Clown translated those and his site no longer exists. Guro does have the PDF version up on his site.

5. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    Both Guro and Asian Hobbyist have finished the main story.

Now, if Guro will do the after stories...

6. bleh360

Reading List:
    Link
    Good question. It's completed in the WN the LN is still ongoing and stopped translating in 2015 according to Novelupdates. I don't do raws and I don't do cray cray MTL. Maybe the LN and WN are the same but I don't think they are, the LN might have more story I don't wanna take the chance and miss out cause I read the wrong version. The anime and Manga versions are taken from the LN version I believe, I could be wrong, but I hope I'm not cause, so much storyyyyy

I am a very picky novel reader, less picky comic reader, even more picky anime watcher....so yeah I couldn't just jump in on that one, if I could get my hands on the LN up to Volume 6 I would read it in a heartbeat!

What do you mean? Do you mean like there is another reincarnated as..... LINK ME LINK ME!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2019
  7. lokasenna

lokasenna Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, there's only one and Gabil is the MC. GABIL IS THE GREATEST!

bleh360 likes this.
  8. Truciderete

Truciderete Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its translated up to Volume 4, but you have to buy it from Yen Press. They own the rights to the English Version of the LN.

You are correct the Anime and Manga series follows closer to the LN then WN. In the beginning it is minor differences but later on there is some major changes between the LN and WN. So if you want to keep changes minor from Manga to Anime to Novel you'll need the LN Version.

9. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What are you going to do when the anime ends and you find out it covered barely 50 chapters or something? :hmm:

bleh360 likes this.
  10. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    At episode 14 Geld got munched.

We might get to Clayman getting munched, but that might not happen...pretty disturbing to have all those humans killed... I hope so, as it’s my fav arc.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  11. bleh360

Reading List:
    Link
    Mwuhahaha i aint gonna finish it!! I read 30 chapters of the manga and then stopped at a good stopping place. I will stop watching anime when i get closer to that point.

I might continue if the anime gets a season 2

I mean come on there is always kumoko

Hey hey spoilers!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2019
  12. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    Corrected. :blobhug:

You will need to hide your quoted text...:blobsmirk::blobrofl:

Manga is good. You will not be able to stop...:blob_grin::cookie:

bleh360 likes this.
  13. bleh360

Reading List:
    Link
    But I did stop. I stopped a little after the forst fight in human form. I wont drop it though i have a notification set up for when it gets to 100 chapters so i can read like 60+ chapters in one go then wait some more lol.