Spoiler Translations in Spoiler Threads and Post Removals

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Westeller, Sep 24, 2023.

1. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Translations cannot be hosted on the forums. Full stop.

If you would like to take up translating, please find somewhere else to host your work. The forums have received DMCA's over translations that are simply not supposed to be here. If you see someone post a translation, please report it, and advise them to host their work elsewhere. If you have posted translations, please take the time to remove them. Summaries and short excerpts are fine, as they've always been. But some may be caught up in attempts to remove translations.

This is a passionate community. We love these novels. We want to read them, we want to discuss them, we want to know what happens between the characters. Who's with who, who died, and who ate the last of the pizza. I will be the absolute last person to blame anyone for wanting to bend the rules if it means they get to read a novel. Or even just a chapter of a novel.

But, guys, we are jeopardizing the entire subforum's existence here. We've gotten to the point where posts are having to be removed en masse, because in some threads it has become normal to post translations. Threads in this subforum are rife with translations that are being posted, copied and quoted. These threads have dozens, hundreds of pages of replies. Thousands of posts that have to be gone through. It's a mess, and we're struggling to clean it up. At least one entire thread no longer exists, and posts that don't contain translations are getting caught up in attempts to automate the cleaning.

I was frankly stunned to realize just how extensive of a problem this has become. I thought it was rare that someone posted a chapter, and that they were usually reported. Instead, I'm looking at a mountain.

But this is a community built on shared contribution. Isn't this subforum a wonderful example of that? We rely on one another for everything we care about here. Every spoiler has to come from somewhere, from someone. Every thread has to be made by someone. Every post. This, too, we can do together.

So, again. If you see a chapter, report it. If you posted a chapter, remove it. If someone wants to translate a novel, even just a single chapter, ensure they know it has to be hosted elsewhere. Y'know, when you're done hugging them.

2. NohrNeir

NohrNeir rereading frenzy

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure where to address this issue as I've recently encountered in another spoiler thread where a moderator mentioned, "...rules about not involving piracy (this includes posting links to piracy and most notably, posting full machine translated chapters on this forum) drastic measures have been taken. Summaries are fine, you're free to share your own take of what you've read. Chapters are not and will most likely be removed when found." With that being said, I take it as summaries of spoilers on chapters/volumes should also be fine, but just not MTL or the full chapter translation.

Now with this understanding, I've looked into my older spoilers and some of them had been removed. They were summary spoilers. Here are some that I've noticed but there might even be more as I've been an avid spoiler for a while now.

• Summaries for Chapters 1-100 for 'I Became the Male Lead’s Step Mother/남주의 엄마가되어 버렸다'
    • Summaries for all the volumes for 'Is It a Fortune or Is It a Woe?(다행인지 불행인지)'
    • Vague summary of random parts for the 'Surviving as a maid in a horror game'

I can understand removing the MTL I had done for 'I Became the Male Lead’s Step Mother/남주의 엄마가되어 버렸다' from 101-150 but I had summaries done for the prior chapters. There are probably some others as well that I don't remember but those are ones I've remembered and checked. I don't typically share MTL as I am an avid promoter to buying the raws so to have my summaries removed is daunting, especially when I had spent hours during weekends typing them out. They weren't just copied and pasted MTLs but things I've had to break down from my reading to only write parts that I deemed important as spoilers.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
    roseO, notyourcupid, Nanashy and 3 others like this.
  3. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You are correct, summaries are fine. It must have incorrectly removed the summaries as the script thought it was a chapter. There were unfortunate removals due to the script used to remove the posts since there were too many scattered all over the forum. We will rectify this soon but to do this as soon as possible, we need to know what threads or users are involved. We'll restore your summaries on this thread soon.

AliceShiki, Westeller and NohrNeir like this.
  4. NohrNeir

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm going through my older spoilers. Here's a list:
    • Summaries for Chapters 1-100 for 'I Became the Male Lead’s Step Mother/남주의 엄마가되어 버렸다'
    • Summaries for all the volumes for 'Is It a Fortune or Is It a Woe?(다행인지 불행인지)'
    • Vague summary of random parts for the 'Surviving as a maid in a horror game'
    • Summaries for 'Your Eternal Lies 영원한 너의 거짓말' (Somehow this whole thread is gone)
    Thank you for responding.

5. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    They are not summaries. These are chapters.
    Screenshot_2023-09-25-13-50-19-63_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg
    The summaries are restored. The chapters will not be restored.
    Screenshot_2023-09-25-13-53-04-29_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg
    I've already explained the situation in the thread. The posts containing discussions and analysis have been restored but the chapters will not be restored.
    Unfortunately, this won't be restored.

AliceShiki and Westeller like this.
  6. NohrNeir

Reading List:
    Link
    They were summaries. Whoever made the ToC wrote MTL but I was giving summaries of each chapters before for the lower chapters as I've even mentioned here to someone:

https://www.novelupdatesforum.com/posts/6197926/
    [​IMG]

My post for this wasn't chapter but a summary as I've mentioned here:

https://www.novelupdatesforum.com/posts/6764812/
    [​IMG]

But somehow that "top" post is still removed.

7. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Summaries of c32-40, 41-49 and 50-60 has been restored. The posts containing chapters will not be restored.
    This is one of the unfortunate removals done by the script I mentioned. The post has been restored.

AliceShiki, Westeller and NohrNeir like this.
  8. Cookiemonster_007isback

Cookiemonster_007isback I need them cookies

Reading List:
    Link
    You are spot on, as someone who loves to be on this forum, this will jeopardize the entire community. I have taken stern note of it, will make sure to follow it avidly.

Sometimes users gets too involved in the novel and we ignore this rule, which can create a problem, will make sure to participate or pinpoint if it happens.

@LaDyViL Hi, I've also meaning to ask what of those who remove mtls after positing them for short notice. For example, some users will post chapter A-H say for a week, or for two days and so and will remove them. Please make/add about this issue in the announcement about what of this practice. Whether it is fine or shouldn't be done at all. So that any query or left over confusion gets cleared.
    Thank you mods.

Rin.rinaaa and Naenia like this.
  9. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    The short answer is this.
    The long answer is this.
    I'll quote a few of the advises I've sent to show you a few of the options you can take about posting chapters.

10. rinainthemoon

rinainthemoon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can I ask if the spoiler thread for Your Majesty, Please Don't Kill Me Again 폐하또 죽이진 말아주세요 was one of the threads deleted because of this issue?

It's been down for a while and I want to know if there's any chance of it going back up or if a new one will have to be restarted for spoiler discussions.
    (Sorry I don't know if this has been addressed elsewhere and I missed it or if there's somewhere else I can ask)

rara - chan likes this.
  11. Reborn27

Reborn27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello LaDyVil!

Thank you for explaining all of this, especially to the newer members and I will be sure to take note of the severity of this situation. I'm glad we have these forums and it would be a devastating shame to have it brought down.

On that note would you mind re-instating the summaries and explanations of relationships in Doctors Rebirth? I understand that there were mtl of chapters and those should be deleted but there were also many summaries and explanations on characters that I felt should be deemed okay.

Please let me know if there are also any other boundaries that should not be crossed in order to keep this forum safe.

12. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not my call to do these. Though it's a great loss to the readers and the forum, the chances of these to be restored is close to never. They were removed due to certain reasons that can't be avoided and will probably jeopardize the existence of this forum if they were restored.

AliceShiki likes this.
  13. tordocantor

tordocantor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I posted a chapter summary in the Betrayal of Dignity thread, and it was edited out, the summary was long cuz its the novel chapter (so it's like 5 or more episodes) I included a short translation of the ending. I just want to know if it was deleted because it was too long or for including the ending. I deleted it so I can post it again after I know what was wrong.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2023
  14. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if it's just a summary, then it's fine. we have a script going through and trying to make it easier to find mtl translations. your post may have been caught in the crossfire.

AliceShiki and tordocantor like this.
  15. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe it's because of the ending translations you included. If you posted just the summary it'll likely won't be removed.

It's restored with the translation removed. Please refrain from posting a huge chunk of translations in the future.

AliceShiki likes this.
  16. tordocantor

tordocantor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I reorganized it and was about to post it again. Will do! Thanks

17. yaywww

yaywww Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wanted to verify: There is an active script monitoring for possible translations/MTL. Other staff mentioned the possibility that longer, lengthier posts may be caught in the crossfire as it may be interpreted as a translation chapter.

As a person who posts mostly lengthy, wall-of-text analysis discussion posts, is there a certain word count I should be concerned about to avoid getting flagged and having it eaten up by the deletion script? should I post in multiple "spoiler" posts, or multiple posts?

This tells me going forward I, and other wordy posters, should ALWAYS write on a separate document first, then copy-paste it on NU to ensure if it does get deleted, we'll be able to post it again.

18. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the script reports it to us now. so nothing will be automatically deleted unless one of actively delete it

19. its0k

its0k Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, one of my posts in The Wedding Business spoiler thread has been removed, though I believe it had only a small MTL excerpt, the rest was a summary. Would it be possible to restore it without that excerpt or should I repost it?

20. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Restored. It was an unfortunate victim caught in the cross fire.

Adding to Parth's post, future lengthy posts shouldn't be affected but if it does you can get back to us about it like the post above this.

Blitz, Westeller, AliceShiki and 2 others like this.