LCD Treasure Hunting Begins in England

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by SerialBeggar, Sep 22, 2023.

1. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/treasure-hunting-begins-in-england/

[​IMG]

Based on the novel's title of "treasure hunting", I was thinking of ancient relics and whatnot, so I was curious on how the author could spin that in a modern London setting. Like, how many relics could the MC encounter on a regular basis to be enough for a story? After I started reading, I realized it was more about antiques because the MC was selling his finds to his college buddy's family antique shop. However, as I continued to read, it was even more basic than that.

The MC is a freelance salvager and his buddy's shop is some hybrid of salvage/antique/pawn shop.

If you didn't know, a salvaging company is someone who is hired to go into a place to clean it out. In return for being able to keep anything "good" they might find, they remove and take away all of the removeable stuff, ie trash, from the structure. The benefit to the client is that they have less stuff to pay to haul out when they demolish the structure. Usually, the salvager runs a shop where they can sell off the things they take. Things like doors, windows, fireplace mantles, bed headboards, stained glass windows, fancy door handles and knobs, old wood planks, signs, decorative stair rails, antique appliances or gadgets, etc. Not really "treasures" to most people except for a house decorator who's looking for something to fit their theme, they might find a treasure there.

I'm currently reading about the MC and his friend make a run to participate in "an auction of abandoned warehouses". Yeah, this particular bit is a rip off of the reality TV series Storage Wars where the show's cast bid on unpaid, abandoned units in a self storage facility.

Anyway. So far, the story is keeping my interest and I want to see where it goes. The translations is really good.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2023
  2. SerialBeggar

Reading List:
    Link
    ch-64:
    What a dis on Detroit!

3. SerialBeggar

Reading List:
    Link
    ch-66
    They're out in the middle of nowhere, but they not only have cellular service, it's good enough to stream video.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2023
  4. SerialBeggar

Reading List:
    Link
    ch-81

5. SerialBeggar

Reading List:
    Link
    The random swapping of names is really annoying. It begs the question: is the translator even reading what he's producing?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2023
  6. SerialBeggar

Reading List:
    Link
    ch-174
    Ha! :blobjoy:

7. SerialBeggar

Reading List:
    Link
    After 200+ chapters, I've got to say that this novel is not bad. After the MC got out of London and making trips to other countries, the historical snippets are quite varied and interesting. His cheat isn't too OP. It mostly allows him to find things faster and understand languages, which mainly leads to increasing his academic credentials, which in turns boosts his social reputation and connections.

I wish the translations could be more consistent, though.

8. SerialBeggar

Reading List:
    Link
    ch-216
    Did the System mess with time to have Jeanne reincarnate ~17 years ago just so she would have a real, modern life history for when she shows up now?

9. SerialBeggar

Reading List:
    Link
    ch-231
    This chapter is so confusing. I wonder if it's due to mistranslations.
    The chapter starts off with them finding a piece of turquoise during their search and discussing it. After continuing their search, they discover a another piece of turquoise a while later. Only to say:
    and then they discuss the second turquoise like it is a totally different concept of turquoise than the first turquoise while only using the term turquoise. I don't understand! :blobastonished:

10. SerialBeggar

Reading List:
    Link
    ch-259:
    What kind of truck seats 4? The only thing I can think of is a "sleeper semi trunk", but those are used to haul large trailers and wouldn't be considered a "medium sized truck".