Discussion Very Curious: Which (JRPP) Game popularizes the Summon Magic Trope?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by CreativeCriticalThinker, Sep 7, 2023.

1. CreativeCriticalThinker

CreativeCriticalThinker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    Final Fantasy Summons by Yoshitaka Amano
    FINAL FANTASY XII Esper.jpg
    Final Fantasy XII: Esper

Final Fantasy X HD Remaster - All Aeons & Overdrive Exhibition PS3

Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age: All Summons / Esper Final Attacks (1080p)

[​IMG]
    Golden Sun
    Golden Sun: Dark Dawn - All Summons Collection [HD 720p]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bravely Default
    Bravely Second All Summons

Summon Magic
    https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SummonMagic

As a fan of Summon Magic due to Final Fantasy I would like to know which game actually was the first and popularize the trope "Summoning/Summoned Monsters".
    Was it very likely Final Fantasy III or another lesser known title?
    And from what I found out is that the idea of Summoning Creatures has existed since the invention of Dungeon and Dragons.
    Even before that there have been people since ancient times around the world believing in or creating the myth of summoning angels, demons, fairies, gods or any kind of fables.
    I didn't find an educational article or good video essay about The History Of Summoning Monsters/Creatures.

[​IMG]
    PBS Storied Monstrum
    Monstrum: The world is full of monsters, and Monstrum isn’t afraid to take a closer look. Join Emily Zarka, Ph.D. on a journey to discover humans’ unique drive to create & shape monster mythology through oral storytelling, literature and film.
    https://www.pbs.org/show/monstrum/
    https://www.youtube.com/@pbsstoried/playlists

Hilariously Inaccurate Medieval Art of Animals
    [​IMG]
    The funniest examples of medieval European paintings where the artist had clearly never seen the animal before.
    Medieval European art of animals often looked… a little different from the real-world species. European texts and illuminated manuscripts from this period are full of hilarious attempts to depict of far-off species, so here’s a breakdown of some of the most inaccurate — and most amusing — examples.
    0:00 Intro 0:38 Elephant 0:58 Hippopotamus 1:24 Giraffe 1:42 Hyena 2:07 Tiger 2:40 Ostrich 3:24 Pelican 3:53 Whale 4:17 Dolphin 4:31 Sea Turtle 4:56 Crocodile 5:22 Scorpion 5:45 ??? 6:13 Outro

Gumball | Inverted Paradox - The Enemy Within | Cartoon Network:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Final Fantasy VII references

Last edited: Jan 13, 2024
    your crush likes this.
  2. Deleted member 215174

Deleted member 215174 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Final Fantasy is the top, but you can add games like Persona, Megami Tensei and Onmyoji to the list.

Is your next work will have magic, summon and magical girl transformation?

3. CreativeCriticalThinker

Reading List:
    Link
    I am currently not a decent competent essayist. :cry:
    You know, you can also try creating your own informative threads with your topics in mind ;)

There is a good video essay by Sabarspark about The Transformation Trope that you can watch:
    A Deep Dive into the Transformation Trope

@jbcatz5
    Howl’s Moving Castle is a great example of physical transformation reflecting states of true self-confidence. Across the film when Sophie is assertive and more self-assured she regains her youthful form, going back to her older curse form when she is more passive and doubting. She also reverts when sleeping, it’s her own perception of herself that’s keeping her old. Howl’s character development shows when he stops dying his hair, being more confident as he is.
    @Dr_Mauser
    The Disney Aladdin cartoon used a LOT of transformation. Perhaps one of the most frightening was "Do the Rat Thing" where Jasmine is transformed into a rat, and can't be changed back. The curse will eventually wear off, but "Rats don't live that long." One subtext you missed about "Turning Red" is that it's also about the onset of Puberty (Red being a metaphor for Menstruation).
    @johnpeebles58
    Transformation is truly one of the greatest tropes just because of how it can be used to showcase so many different morals, themes, and philosophies. Like Wolf Children. The struggle of being of two species and of two worlds. The choices someone has to eventually make as they grow up. The consequences that arise when those world overlap but also the benefits. Unlike Turning Red the world wasn't quite so understanding in Wolf Children.
    @kayodesalandy3846
    I actually rewatched SU recently, and another lens I viewed fusion from was the idea of finding a new identity in a relationship as a unit. And the source of conflict in these moments is usually due to the fusion exacerbating the personal "failings" of both characters involved; the episode when Steven and Amythyst showed off their fusion to the fused Pearl and Garnet showed this off so well!! They become stronger as a unit, almost completing each other (the SU Future really confronted this when Steven wanted to propose to Connie). But they don't find completion, nor do they become any closer to perfect. Each gem/person needs to complete themselves first, working on their insecurities before bringing it to their fusion/relationship.

Shadow Hearts Covenant: Yuri Volte Huga Exhibition

Shadow Hearts Covenant: Kurando Exhibition

All Disney Summons in Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 HD

Kingdom Hearts 3 - All Summons Gameplay & Special Attacks

4. CreativeCriticalThinker

Reading List:
    Link
    Top 10 Final Fantasy Summons

@andrewquintos6058
    Anyone else thinks FF10 has the best Shiva design so far?
    @salem4758
    Anima NEEDS to be in more games. Imagine her in Final Fantasy xv

Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - GF Summons 2019 [4k]

0:14 Shiva 0:36 Quezacotl 1:06 Ifrit 1:32 Siren 2:01 Brothers 2:37 Carbuncle 2:59 Diablos
    3:39 Leviathan 4:22 Pandemona 5:00 Cerberus 5:25 Alexander 6:07 Doomtrain 6:40 Cactuar
    6:56 Tonberry 7:24 Odin 7:44 Gilgamesh 8:05 Phoenix 8:24 Bahamut 9:09 Eden

Golden Sun: The Lost Age All Summons HD

00:53 | Kirin 01:02 | Tiamat 01:15 | Meteor 01:29 | Atalanta 01:39 | Procne 01:53 | Thor
    02:06 | Nereid 02:18 | Neptune 02:37 | Boreas 02:52 | Zagan 02:59 | Megaera
    03:11 | Flora 03:25 | Moloch 03:39 | Ulysses 03:53 | Haures 04:11 | Eclipse
    04:28 | Coatlicue 04:56 | Catastrophe 05:28 | Daedalus 06:00 | Azul 06:18 | Charon 06:46 | Iris
    07:16 | Mercury 07:21 | Venus 07:27 | Mars 07:33 | Jupiter

CHAINED ECHOES- ALL CHARACTERS ULTRA MOVE (ULTIMATE)

Doesn't have any summons probably due to the mecha gameplay system.

Sea Of Stars PS5 - Ultimate Skills Showcase Timestamped

00:00 Zale 00:20 Valere 00:44 Garl 01:12 Seraï 01:41 Resh'an 01:58 B'st

5. CreativeCriticalThinker

Reading List:
    Link
    Legend of Legaia - All summons

The Legend of Dragoon Divine Dragoon transformation and magic attacks (1080p)

Wild Arms 4 Summon Exhibition

Chrono Cross Remaster - ALL SUMMONS Showcase | The Radical Dreamers Edition【4K】

Evolution of Persona Summoning Animation (1996-2020)

6. Empathatic

Empathatic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While normally if it's related to turn based JRPGs and asking which one started or popularized something I'd say Dragon Quest, but it's clearly the Final Fantasy series in the case of summoning, with FF III being the first game to have them (I think?) It's also pretty easy to see how FF's summoning magic influenced a lot of games later, as OP has already showed through their images and videos.
    I do have to wonder... it seems like OP already knows the answer maybe they just wanted to show off all their favorite summons in games?

7. CreativeCriticalThinker

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't know the answer and yes, I wanted to show my favorite summons ^^