Which laptop to take?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by MangoGuy, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Sin

Sin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If your going for gaming your going to want a dedicated gpu, I'm not that good with tech but the first PC doesn't look to have any, if your not buying for gaming then I dunno. Sorry & good luck.

Edit - if your looking at Amazon then you can try looking for a discount, sometimes they do less if it has packaging issues but think thats like new status.

2. newgen333

newgen333 Friendly Bandit

Reading List:
    Link
    OP could get the HP then simply upgtade the HDD. It wouldn't be an issue imo. Though a 5400 rpm hard drive is slow, optain can help. Optains main job is not to have stuff stored on it, but it's to boost the speed of the hdd. It will help with load times and everything. It's not nearly as bad as you think. LTT did a video on optain plus a hdd vs just an ssd and they were very very close. I would still go with the Dell G3 as it has good performance and looks lke something I wouldn't mind bringing with me to class. The HP is too gaudy imo

3. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    View attachment 34073
    Pros =
    Touchscreen are why this one are expensive , doubt you will need that tho
    Bigger storage , but you can get external drive
    SSD is like storage with slightly faster loading but not deal breaker

Cons =
    Integrated Graphic Card (in layman terms using processor as graphic processing unit too) are big no for gaming.

View attachment 34074
    Pros =
    Better processor
    Dedicated Graphic cards

Cons =
    Cant upgrade RAM (some high end games requires 12mb or 16mb , but majority games are fine at 8mb)

So 2nd one fit your requirement more. Because you gonna ship those laptop make sure your country have decent service center for it in case something happens.

MangoGuy likes this.
  4. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only thing the HP will do worse than the Dell is in battery life. The H-series processor and discrete GPU are power hungry. You might only get 4-5 hours of battery even when not playing games. Other than that, replace the hard drive in the HP when you have some spare cash. a $100-200 SSD should be more than enough.

5. newgen333

Reading List:
    Link

Dave 2D Did a video on the Dell G3, it's a good laptop

6. FINN

FINN Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    right, the fan of HP in my opinion is too slow to cooling the processor. but the spec is fulfilling your requirements with goods graphics and optimized performance in gaming.

If you can, buy the laptops other than HP label with the same spec's. Sorry for being looking down for HP production and people who has a laptop of HP name on it, because in my place HP is a bit difficult to be repaired and hard to find the service center whose trustworthy for HP.

7. jalog100

jalog100 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Both are crap if you want some decent game rig buy an asus laptop they have external graphics card that allows you to play games, 8gb ram and i5 3ghz is the min to play a modern game, you shouldn't ask a lot from a laptop, just add a ssd and you are ready, if you want a serious game rig you need a desktop pc, and at least 2k usd to make a decent pc, if you want a pc just for games, cheap and don't care about things like 4k video or 60fps buy an xbox

MangoGuy likes this.
  8. zhainan2157

zhainan2157 『Villager No.2157』『Kawaii Connoisseur』

Reading List:
    Link
    Both laptops have their pros and cons. I've never owned a HP laptop before but I have had a Dell laptop before and I really liked it, until it got stolen...
    But based on the descriptions of the two laptops, disregarding the company that made them as well as the warranty and other stuff like design and reputation, the Dell laptop is made more for work and a faster OS system. Some things will be faster on this laptop depending on what you store into the SSD drive which is helpful if you want to run programs like Photoshop or a video editing software. But then again, if you are going to be using Photoshop a lot, you will need a good graphics card as well and not just a SSD drive so I don't know if the on system graphics card the MOBO comes with is enough for it.
    The HP laptop includes a video card but as a trade off, it doesn't have an SSD, the GTX 1050 ti graphic card it has is a step up from the 1050, however, since it is in mobile form in a PC, it is pretty much like a regular PC's 1050 or maybe even worse, however, this will still be better than the graphics that come with the motherboard of the laptop which means you will have a wider option of games you will be able to play on the HP laptop.

That said, here are some better options with the first 3 having a core i7 processor:
    https://www.amazon.com/VivoBook-i7-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DCRMSGHCPDS1SQJD04EA
    This laptop has everything you need but is just low on storage with only 256 GB, but it is all SSD. All you need for this one is to by a good external hard drive to carry around with you. This is unless you're planning on storing a lot of games and movies on this. Also this one doesn't come with an optical drive(dvd place)

If that's the case then I recommend this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiro...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DCRMSGHCPDS1SQJD04EA
    Although the HDD it comes with is only a 5400 rpm drive, it is made up for by the 128 GB SSD that it comes with. This one also says it includes extra memory slots which will let you upgrade to up to 32GB in the future.

This one is the exact same as the Dell one I recommended except it's by MSI(gaming company) and looks cooler and seems more gaming like and has a 17.3 inch monitor in stead of 15:
    https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GL72M-7R...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JWJKEARDJKVY5CDEVWNW

This one is cheapest of the bunch by Asus(also gaming company) but comes with a SSHD instead which is a mix of SSD and HDD but only a small part of it is SSD used to store your OS system which means booting up every time is almost as fast as if you were using just a SSD This one is the only one out of the bunch I recommended that has a core i5:
    https://www.amazon.com/8th-Gen-i5-8...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JWJKEARDJKVY5CDEVWNW

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  9. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    You shouldn't assume OP will want to upgrade it, I doubt that. Honestly, it depends on much more. It's only 16GB and when it isn't using the cache, 5400 RPM will hit pretty hard. What type of SSD is it and how is it connected? Most of all, isn't maybe an SSD straight up cheaper? Optane isn't cheap, even for smaller modules.

If I were OP, to reach his reqs at a lowest possible price I'd look for a laptop with a decent, non-touch screen, a middle of the pack processor, can be power saving U, 8GB RAM, a discrete graphics card but not necessarily one as good as the 1050Ti, something with at least a 256GB SSD and maybe a hard drive in it as well if he really needs the capacity (most people don't). And a numpad if he wants. That will serve his needs very well, probably won't be too bad on the battery life front and shouldn't cost above his budget.

MangoGuy likes this.
  10. WinByDying

Reading List:
    Link
    Be careful when saying i5, Intel's naming scheme is more obtruse than ever. Laptop i5's used to be dual cores, now some are dual some are quad, desktop ones are quad. I guess you mean that you need a quad core?

And ... you don't need 2k usd for fuck's sake, with 2k you'll have a top of the line graphics card in the pc. Like, top of the line, let me buy a 4k monitor or 1440p 144Hz display top of the line. You don't know shit about building a pc. A normal gaming pc significantly more powerful than a console costs like 800 usd. For 500-600 you can build something of about console performance and it can be used for a lot more than gaming. Consoles have their uses, they're very cheap gaming machines, but don't smear desktop pcs while you're at it. 2k for fuck's sake, if you give me 2k I'll build two or three good gaming pcs. And no yearly required payments for online services.

Besides, OP wanted to play FIFA, that's not the latest Deus Ex or something. Probably a lot less demanding. Why would he want a desktop. And a slightly more expensive laptop with a discrete gpu will probably be cheaper than console + subscription + cheaper laptop.

newgen333 likes this.
  11. newgen333

Reading List:
    Link

Optain is not an ssd in the traditional sense. It's use is to speed up a slower hdd. There's no need to upgrade, the option is there if he wants to though.

12. newgen333

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol the post you replied to reminds me of Bullet Barry's console pesant quotes :)

13. newgen333

Reading List:
    Link

Is what I was talking about. That's a vid comparing optain + hdd vs just an hdd. There's a big improvement, however it's just not as fast as an ssd.

14. WinByDying

Reading List:
    Link
    Console peasant is an inflammatory term, but yeah he seems to have some ... misconceptions about the reality of gaming prices. Consoles are sold at or under production cost but they take large margins on games and obligatory online subscriptions. He seems to think that with 800 or 1000 bucks it's still better to buy a console which is simply not true.

I wouldn't call the video you linked extensive testing. Booting times are uninteresting, and a single game ... I was hoping to find something on Anandtech but alas, they only reviewed other configurations it seems. It uses a 7200 RPM HDD as well. Anyway, Optane cache is probably not as shitty as I first imagined it, but I'd still take an SSD every day of the week, especially if it's NVME. It's probably also cheaper, I'd say most people are better off with a 256GB SSD, especially if they don't use the 1TB storage and honestly most people don't, unless playing a lot of games or torrenting/downloading series and movies. For browsing, mail, some office, netflix, youtube and one or two games 128GB might even be enough.

When I said I don't know exactly how Optane works, I meant how it works in practice. I do know it is a pricy form of permanent memory in between SSD and RAM speeds.I just don't know how the caching works and how it compares to SSD caching. On my laptop the SSD cache doesn't do much unfortunately.

15. Haters gonna Hate

Haters gonna Hate Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not only, it'll do so much noise as if it's heating but it's not. It's totally bullshit

DevianT likes this.
  16. newgen333

Reading List:
    Link

Console peasant quotes is a series by a youtuber named Bullet Barry where he goes through commonly said things by misinformed console users and dispels those notions. Anyways optain is cheap. For a 16 gig optain drive it's ~40 usd. If you need the space then it's worth it. I'd definitly go with an ssd as well. Optain is just a good option if you have no others. It's pretty cool tech

17. Rephidim

Rephidim Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Got an HP Pavilion Power, last year model, it was fine...

but that doesn't mean i did not regret choosing it over Dell. :p
    (heating, slows the performance, very hard to upgrade)