"Why you even read novels"

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by LolMania, Aug 25, 2021.

1. LolMania

LolMania Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Friend - What novels you read?
    Me - Random, as I like it I read it
    Friend - Why you even read novels and manga, there's nothing in them, watch anime, at that time there were no means but there are now so watch anime, novels and mangas are boring.
    Me - .... (Couldn't come up with a reply)
    Although they are my friends and always try to help immature me (best friends)
    It hurts very much inside :( they don't know how fascinating it is to read novels, we visualize things as per the description in them, get excited get frustrated get sad, but why?
    I would have told them thousand words about benefits of it if I knew some...
    Even though they are useless in practical life, they still make me read with emotion, whether they are Korean, Japanese, Chinese or other languages translated in english.
    Please tell me some things that will at least give me reason to not back down, this is the first time I doubted myself on novels, although I will still continue reading
    Also tell me your experience of how you defended yourself reading novels and your reading time in a day
    (My reading time is 3 hr min and 9 hr max, if I want to finish it then as much as I use phone in a day)
    And currently reading Paradise of Demonic God.

Windsley likes this.
  2. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    Why bother?

LolMania, asriu, frrama and 2 others like this.
  3. Eternal Emperor

Eternal Emperor SelfAware-PieceOfShit

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t get it why are you in the position of having to defend yourself? Clearly it’s your friend who ought be scrambling about trying to justify his bratty opinions…:blobconfused:

Shio, LolMania and frrama like this.
  4. Reack

Reack Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I started reading novels because anime and manga bored me :blobsweat_2:

LolMania, DankMCD and KizunaAi like this.
  5. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    I read because it is less resource intensive as compared to anime or manga. As a matter of fact, I went from watching anime to reading manga and finally to reading novels. I barely watch any anime anymore or read manga. This is mainly because there was a 2 yr period where I had very bad internet connection. So I used to save the chapters when I had the chance, and then read them in leisure, all without crossing 1 mb. If I do the same with manga and anime, well, it would need a lot more mbs.

6. YoriMei

YoriMei (ㆁᴗㆁ✿)

Reading List:
    Link
    You don’t have to justify or defend your reading material to anyone lol. I read for enjoyment and I’ll read anything that is interesting, who cares if there’s “nothing” in them. Do your friends play video games? Like watching tv shows? Then ask them why, there’s nothing in them to be learned :blobneutral:

LolMania, Westeller, frrama and 3 others like this.
  7. TheBlueLaundryBag

TheBlueLaundryBag Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You shouldn't have to defend yourself. It's your hobby and you like to do it. Fun is subjective and they're not in a position to tell you to not enjoy it.
    If you must, ask them why they enjoy their hobbies.

LolMania, Westeller, DankMCD and 2 others like this.
  8. Windsley

Windsley Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    its pointless to explain to people who doesnt have the same interest as you, here in novelupdates every member is a fan of novels so you can easily talk about it

reading is a hobby, and not everyone enjoy reading

LolMania and KizunaAi like this.
  9. Vudoodude

Vudoodude Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I moved on from Anime to Manga because Anime was all fillers and time-wasting pauses. I moved on from Mangas to Novels because the release rate is much faster. Especially with text-to-speech, I can read novels when I drive, while surfing, or doing other things. Not to diss on Anime, but it's the whole novel to movie adaptation stereotype. When novels get adapted to mangas, information, explanations, and content gets lost, and when manga is adapted into an anime, it's even worse. Essentially, plots and explanations get cut to fit into 22min episodes and 12-13 episode seasons, or worse they may add fillers to make up for it instead. Manga tend to be truer to the original novel, but even they will cut out explanations to avoid walls of text.

LolMania and frrama like this.
  10. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Each provides a different kind of entertainment, you got no reason to doubt yourself, if you like it you like it XD

LolMania and KizunaAi like this.
  11. mangalife

mangalife Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because you are trying to enjoy your life and you're a man of culture

LolMania likes this.
  12. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Tell them to each their own and that you like it anyway. If they are good friends, they should have already forgotten about this incident, if they aren't terrible friends, they will forget about it after you tell them this

LolMania likes this.
  13. frrama

frrama Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All you really need is this phrase:
    "It's my free time, I'll spend it as I please."

This is not something you have to 'defend'! To anyone, much less your supposed friends. (I mean, if you're spending time reading novels when you should be doing work/chores/some other non-leisure activity, that's a whole other argument.)

It doesn't sound like your friends are approaching this with an open mind. If they don't want to understand the appeal of an activity, then they never will. Even if they do want to understand it, they might not be able to.

In a similar situation (but with people who were making a genuine effort to understand, which it doesn't sound like your friends are; they sound like the people who just want to be 'right' and assert their own opinions over yours), I have tried explaining: I like novels generally for slower-paced, more introspective stories. Hearing a character's inner thoughts, learning more details about the background of the world they're in (it doesn't have to be an alternate universe; say the main character has an interesting job, that is also 'a whole new world' for me to learn about). These things are really hard to convey effectively in media such as anime/TV/films, which are more suited IMO to action-based stories.

Of course your reasons for liking books vs anime might be different, you can think it over and tell your friends what you like and why, but if they can't/won't understand - trust me, that is a them problem and not a you problem. Don't let them make you feel bad!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    LolMania likes this.
  14. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When it comes to novels you have to rely on your imagination, it is literally your ability to imagine that determines your level of enjoyment. Even for manga you still need to use your imagination, maybe not as much, but to some extent nonetheless.

Some people have poor imaginations though, they can't paint a picture with their mind. They can't imagine a exciting action scene with just some words, or a few panels. They can't turn black and white text and lines into vibrant color, or make a still image move. For them reading a novel is dull and dry, just words on a page, and a manga is just a still image with some text.

There is no way to explain yourself to your friend, because you're ability to imagine is something they cannot even comprehend. If you should feel bad for anyone, feel bad for them, for I pity them too.

LolMania and frrama like this.
  15. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean there is stuff in them
    XD

LolMania likes this.
  16. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love all mediums of fiction. Webnovels, trad books, manga, webcomics, tv shows, movies. Except anime. I stopped watching anime a few years ago because it honestly got a bit annoying. Something about the voice acting, the motion, and the music began to bother me. Not sure what tho. Maybe I just in general don't like animation. (But I don't mind rewatching stuff for nostalgia)

I would rather like high quality, high budget movies with real people based off the manga or books. I feel like that'd be interesting.

LolMania likes this.
  17. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    cuz it fun for this cat and thats it~
    got a problem pal?

there quite simple answer for entertainment~

that aside tell them~
    did ya know anime these day the story actually adaptation of novel? the anime actually watered down ver ya know, not mention it only go so far~ so while you whining "when xxx next season come" this cat already ahead of you~ so go cry on the corner pluease~
    or something like that~

LolMania likes this.
  18. Dragontrainer201

Dragontrainer201 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, for me, it’s so I can go at my own pace.

For adaptations, the manga/novel will usually be further ahead. Many times after watching an Anime series, I find myself wanting to know what happened next. Other times, I read the manga before the Anime came out. Plus, you’re getting content directly from the creative source (i.e., the author or mangaka) as opposed to having it filtered and potentially made worse. You get a better idea of authorial intent. Of course, if the anime adaptation is good, it might be worth checking out anyway, but there will always be a place for novels and manga. Everything starts there (with some exceptions, since there are Anime that aren’t adaptations of previous work).

Of course, the opposite could also be true. After catching up with the manga, I find myself watching the Anime… but only for the filler / movies. :p

LolMania likes this.
  19. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd probably just say well, if the anime is based on a novel/manga, I can spoil myself with novel/manga and not have to wait for anime to get to the juicy reveal~

Also I think there's lot of Anime that are unable to cover the whole span of the novel/manga, so if you just stick to Anime, you could just miss out on the rest of the story.
    (Like I still hope there be another season of Skip Beat Anime but I really don't think that will happen so have to stick to the manga )

LolMania likes this.
  20. LolMania

LolMania Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thinking myself if I was stupid to not think that. Just this one sentence is powerful to give me power

I got a bit more emotional when they called novels boring haha my bad ,and Yes they are bratty hmpf, still best

Bit similar to me to, I still read manga sometime

Yessssss, although I am now stable but also had same situation year ago, are you okay now?

You get itttttt, I read for that reason too, I read as long as I like it.

Yessssss fully agree with you, Fun is needed

AAWWWWW thank you, my fellow brother, this is true I haven't seen any toxic people here

And thats the very major reason, Apart from anime, you have to imagine every single detail in mind its fun, I still read manga cause it shows of what type of person looks I am imagining hehehe

No while I was writing my opinion I was in full emotion that I wanted to explode somewhere that caused my words to sound weird, and yes novel is very entertaining

THANKS RESPECTED SUR, YOU ARE AS WELL MAN OF CULTURE

Yes they are very best friends, they have forgotten and I haven't said anything its very normal like everyday we play football :))

Your words are very encouraging that I can finish a novels with one day, You spoke very true, I love especially how the MC will choose decisions between two hardest decision and how he will follow it.

Veryyy true,I will sure remember this positive point of readers although idk whether this emotes will show or not but they are all heart emotes

YESSSSSS very much stuff, I only remember weird stuffs more clearly than the original plotlinehahahaha

Wow Can I call you veteran person? So much you watch

Again emotional that you wrote a whole meaningful poem that has very funny faceslap, its a great poem to encourage me full, I screenshot this to remember the funny way to faceslap

Haha you got both tastes, happy to meet you too

OMG you watched that too??? I also watched long time ago, I thought she was going to struggle when I saw the first episode but didnt expect that it will be very funny, still sometimes it got sad too, and I was most shocked when the Black hair MC and our FL have connection, shoutaro is stupid to leave her like that, only after she left him did he want her again, I am very mad at this fact,if she didn't come again he would have totally forgotten her, I didnt got following episode at that time so I switched to manga and wnd don't know how is it going now, it was still being updated at that time Idk, still I got off topic sorryyyy

I don't deserve this much love from all of your guys, I read your opinions and am very happy to enjoy this feeling. Thank you soo much for more encouraging mee, I will not care anymore about what they say and will focus on reading as I like

frrama likes this.