YouTube blocking AdBlocks

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Blossom_Honey, Oct 18, 2023.

1. Blossom_Honey

Blossom_Honey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure how many people are affected but YouTube is now putting up popups that basically tell you to disable your adblock. At first you could just close it down, but then it escalated where a timer would be put on (so you had to wait like 10 seconds before the X to close the pop up appeared). It's now escalated to the point where YouTube has basically blocked me from watching the video at all unless I disable AdBlock - like literally, the video screen is covered with a message to disable it and there's no way to get rid of it, so I basically can't watch the video at all.

Does anyone know how to get around this? Or am I just going to have to quit YouTube now?

Dayoless and Iruma666 like this.
  2. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    try incognito mode.

3. Iruma666

Iruma666 『 Banana Pudding Enjoyer 』

Reading List:
    Link
    Some say to use Firefox. Also I'd recommend you go to your adblock settings and:
    1. Clear the cache, then
    2. Update the filters.
    This usually helps fix it. If not then I usually just put on some stricter filters, clear cache, then update the filters again -with the stricter filters- and that also works.

If not then use another browser for a little bit, and then go back to your usual. At least, for me it worked? I don't know how others fair though.

4. Dayoless

Dayoless Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same here dude. I was using uBlock Origin from the start but then it stopped working and giving me those annoying pop-ups.

You can use Spark blocker, a chrome extension. Works just fine for now that is until youtube does something about it.

Iruma666 likes this.
  5. Blossom_Honey

Blossom_Honey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I tried both, don't know if cleaning the filters or going into incognito mode worked but a win is a win I suppose.

I'll keep this in mind in case my current method stops working.

Thanks guys!

Dayoless and Iruma666 like this.
  6. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I saw that the devs of Ublock Origin worked on a solution shortly after Youtube implemented this.

However, when I tried applying their solution after following their tutorial, it didn't work out for me... Dunno if Youtube did something to bypass their work, or if I followed the tutorial wrongly.

If it was Youtube's fault though, then the devs of Ublock Origin probably already figured out a new solution to it, since they work pretty fast... And if it was my fault, then that's on me and it shouldn't be a problem for you if you follow their tutorial properly.

... Personally speaking though, I decided to just not bother and disabled by adblock on Youtube for the time being... Not because I'm okay with their ads (they're horribly intrusive and way beyond my acceptable limit for ads), but because I basically watch Vtuber clibs and Vtuber VODs these days, both of which tend to have no ads, so... Well, it's not being a problem to me.

I figured I'd just wait a few weeks before youtube gave up on trying to update their anti-adblock software and all adblockers became able to bypass it, then I'd re-enable my adblock~

7. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Use firefox, you will be capped at 4k60fps, but less of the annoying ads, then download the sponsor block for youtube plugin.

8. Kuroihagane

Kuroihagane Investi-gathor

Reading List:
    Link
    I use adblock plus and never got any pop ups

9. JamesBunny

JamesBunny Well-Known member

Reading List:
    Link
    U block origin, some people say they still have issues but I never had any using librewolf (a fork of Firefox but without any trackers or spyware at all)

10. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All people have to do is manually update the filter lists...

11. JamesBunny

JamesBunny Well-Known member

Reading List:
    Link
    Too lazy when I can just not

12. Elementarteilchen

Elementarteilchen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just use the Brave Browser. It uses an internal adblocker, that works flawlessly.

13. SimKross

SimKross Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Revanced Extended also works for mobile, or Firefox with u block origin ad-on

14. KaruTL

KaruTL Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They do not seem keen to give up, so I have limited success, but the FadBlock addon for Firefox (and apparently Chrome, but I have not tried it) at least skips through ads in a fraction of a second, most of the time, making them barely noticeable.